From: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bob Fulks
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 3:36 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] ETF/Trakkers

I am curious as to why you would bother to hedge a ES position. Why not simply exit and get back in when you would remove the hedge?

The ES has lower bid/ask spreads and commissions than the ETF's also.

In any case, either should be similar since they probably are developed using futures.

The portfolio (cyan curve) of Long ES hedged by a long position in the UltraShort S&P ETF (SDS) is shown the "RealTraders.04" picture attached. The optimum spread ratio varied slightly from the ideal .66666/.33333 weighting as you can see on the lower subgraph (magenta).

The portfolio (cyan curve) of Long ES hedged by a long position in the Ultra S&P ETF (SSO) is shown the "RealTraders.05" picture attached. Again, the optimum spread ratio varied slightly from the ideal .66666/.33333 weighting as you can see on the lower subgraph (magenta).

Bob Fulks