[RT] Re: To share with you all this unconventional X'mas greeting!

Dear All,

Here is an unconventional Christmas greeting I received from a friend in financial industry, which I find it meaningful and would like to share with you all.

X'mas is just one day away and the past year was truly an eventful one, and I believe none in this industry will ever forget what we experienced and witnessed, which made last year a really tough one to many of us but what lies ahead could be even tougher. "Unconventional" looks to be the theme with so many unconventional events happened, which led to even more unconventional government measures. The below should also be considered somewhat unconventional in the X'mas greetings from me but I still would like to share it with you ........

Yesterday, the Christian fellowship had the traditional gathering before X'mas when they shared homemade food with all other colleagues. I'm not a Christian but, like previous years, did attend the gathering and had the chance to watch a brief video of a man called Nick Vujicic -  a man without limbs. I learnt about him from paper a few weeks ago. (If you know about him, you may share the same feeling and, if not, this link should let you learn more about him - www.lifewithoutlimbs.org).

It is amazing to leant that there are people with the courage and determination to face the kind of challenges in doing even the simplest things that many of us take for granted everyday, like walking or picking up a glass of water with our hands. A couple of decades ago, there was a young Canadian with bone cancer in his leg who tried to complete a trip across Canada by running a Marathon a day with one of his legs an artificial one to raise funds for cancer research. Physically, he didn't make it as he was forced to stop after less than 5 months and passed away in about a year after he started. That young Canadian, named Terry Fox, was 22 when he started his journey and passed away a month shy of 23. While he physically never finished his trip, he has "completed" a journey, one of the greatest in Canadian history and really a journey of hope by bringing many many others to follow his footsteps. One of those was a fellow Canadian Rick Hansen, who suffered from spinal cord injury and was paralyzed since 15. From Mar-85 to May-87, he rolled his wheelchair over 40,000km across 34 countries, incl. the Great Wall in China - I was studying in Canada when he had his heroic return to his home country and raised $26m in total. He's still working feverishly now on spinal cord injury related programs and initiatives (www.rickhansen.com). Yesterday, I watched this video of Nick, 25 according to his web site (www.lifewithoutlimbs.org), who candidly talked to some high school students about his experience such as being teased by his school mates when he was a small kid. He's now full time preaching Christianity and giving talks to inspire others - and I'm sure he did, and am sure with great success. His messages were clear and simple - there are always hopes ahead of us and so long as we never give up, we can always overcome whatever obstacles in front of us and achieve what we aimed for and we should always be opening our hearts to love and care about others. He also shared a touching experience he had - Some time ago, he was in a gathering with friends and when that gathering was almost over, a 2-1/2-year-old girl started hugging everyone in the gathering. When she faced with Nick, she reckoned that Nick has no limbs to hug others and, after wondering for a couple of minutes, the little girl put her arms at her back and "hug" Nick with her neck - kind of "necking" him. I can envision that moment and it was indeed amazing and touching to learn that a 2-1/2-year-old knows from her heart how to embrace others with equality and respect. The world may be tough, but there are always nice things around us to joy about. Nick was in HK late-Nov / early Dec, and that's why he was featured in newspaper article and our CEO William actually had the chance to give him a hug!

We may experience one of the toughest moments in decades in our industry (and in many other industries), in my view, the challenges that we face are negligible comparing to those faced by Terry, Rick and Nick. I hope these stories may help inspiring you in weathering this difficult time and there is always a better tomorrow ahead of us.

X'mas is around the corner and it is a moment of sharing and I hope the above won't bore you too much and, as usual, in my more conventional X'mas greeting message, I would like to truly thank you once again for the kind support to my works and those of my colleagues over last year and the past many years. It is your encouragement and support that form part of the "nice things" around us and drive us forward. In return, we will try our best to offer you more interesting and, hopefully, profitable investment ideas in the years to come.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family:

A Merry X'mas and a Happy, Healthy and Wonderful New Year!

All the best wishes,

Jeff Harteam

2008 X’mas HK.