[RT] Forecasting (long post)

A large number of posts on this list are requests to other traders to share their market forecasts. Having a framework in which to consider future market scenarios can be beneficial as long as the trader / investor does not get married to a "fantasy of expectation" about what the market might-could-should do.  Since markets often frustrate the expectations of a majority of participants, particularly at the turns (after everyone who wants to buy has bought, the market can only go down), traders depending on borrowed forecasts should have a plan to limit their risk.  The best traders I know have developed their own consistent, disciplined, rule based approaches that allow the market to tell them what to do.   After twenty plus years and at great expense, I have found it more successful to trade what I see on my screens - not what I or someone else thinks.

I posted the paragraph below to this list in 2005.

As a long time member of this list who posts rarely, I want to acknowledge
the willingness of Ben and others who take the time to share their ideas on
the markets - they keep us all thinking and they keep the list alive.
However, I believe Alex has articulated an important idea about trying not
to predict the markets.  Even if one can predict the markets with say, 70%
accuracy over time (almost unheard among money managers), you will still be
wrong 30% of the time.  This means that any trader who consistently makes
money from one month to the next, MUST, no matter his analysis or
methodology, be quick to abandon any preconceived notion or prediction of
what the market should do and adjust to what the market is doing now - to
the price action at hard right edge of the chart.  Inability to quickly
change your position and flow with market action, particularly in the highly
leveraged futures market, is a prescription for failure.  From the S&P
locals who bought the breaks in the Crash of 1987 to the rocket jocks at
Long Term Capital Management, market history is littered with the carcasses
of those who did not adjust quickly enough to the reality of market action.
While we can all appreciate a timely and correct call about what the market
might do, predictions are of no value and can be potentially harmful if the
trader develops a market bias and cannot immediately bail out of a trade
that does not develop as expected.  I think this critical reality is often
missed by newer traders and list members who are seeking insights from
traders that they perceive are more experienced that themselves.

Jim Alvis