[RT] Fw: TTT SEASONALITY PLEASE SAVE

Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Subject:  SEASONALITY PLEASE SAVE

In the December 2002 issue of Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities magazine, Jay Kaeppel presented a system of being in the market only when historical seasonality is positive.  Mr. Kaeppel used four tendencies:

1.  The two days immediately prior to an exchange holiday (New Year's Day, MLK Day, Presidents' Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas).  NOTE:  This has shifted somewhat over the years, and we have made the appropriate adjustments beginning in the 2008 calendars.

2.  The last trading day of the month and the first four trading days of the next month.

3.  November 1st through the 3rd trading day in May.

4.  The most favorable 15 months of the 48-month Presidential election cycle.  This begins on October 1st two years prior to each Presidential election, and ends on December 31st of the following year.

Each tendency gets a score of 1.  When you have two or more tendencies working for you at the same time (i.e. a score of +2 or better), market performance over time is greatly enhanced.

Mr. Kaeppel tested this system on the Nasdaq from 1972 - 2002 and found that readings of +2 or greater outperformed non-seasonal days by a significant degree.  He also found that readings of 0 underperformed all nonzero seasonal days by a likewise significant degree.

The calendars below shows the score for each of the upcoming months.  If the day is highlighted in red, then the score is "maximum bearish" by being a 0.  If it is highlighted in green, then it is more bullish than a usual day by being scored a 2, 3 or 4.

If you see a or then there is some extra seasonality evident that day, either negative or positive, respectively.  For example, the day after an options expiration tends to be negative, so you will see a on those days, as well as some holidays which show a negative bias when traders return from the break.

Below the calendars, you will see some performance statistics from trading on days with each of the possible "scores".

AUGUST 2008

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

1

1

4

1

5

1

6

1

7

0

8

0

11

0

12

0

13

0

14

0

15

0

18

0

19

0

20

0

21

0

22

0

25

0

26

0

27

0

28

0

29

2

SEPTEMBER 2008

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

1

MKT

CLOSED

2

1

3

1

4

1

5

1

8

0

9

0

10

0

11

0

12

0

15

0

16

0

17

0

18

0

19

0

22

0

23

0

24

0

25

0

26

0

29

0

30

1

OCTOBER 2008

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

1

1

2

1

3

1

6

1

7

0

8

0

9

0

10

0

13

0

14

0

15

0

16

0

17

0

20

0

21

0

22

0

23

0

24

0

27

0

28

0

29

0

30

0

31

1

NOVEMBER 2008

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

3

2

4

2

5

2

6

2

7

1

10

1

11

1

12

1

13

1

14

1

17

1

18

1

19

1

20

1

21

1

24

1

25

2

26

2

27

MKT

CLOSED

28

2

DECEMBER 2008

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri

1

2

2

2

3

2

4

2

5

1

8

1

9

1

10

1

11

1

12

1

15

1

16

1

17

1

18

1

19

1

22

1

23

1

24

2

25

MKT

CLOSED

26

2

29

1

30

1

31

3

PERFORMANCE DATA

The table below uses the S&P 500 from 1950 through mid-2004, and shows the market?s performance for days with each of the four possible total scores.

S&P 500 Performance by Seasonality Index

1950 - 2004

0

1

2

3

4

Avg Ret

-0.03%

0.01%

0.08%

0.23%

0.21%

% Pos

50%

51%

56%

62%

70%

# Days

3604

5647

3555

860

33

We can see from the table that on a day when none of the four seasonal biases are present, the S&P actually showed a negative average return, and was positive on almost exactly 50% of the 3,604 days.

As we notched more biases in our favor, the S&P?s performance improved, slightly at first and then dramatically.  By the time we had 3 out of the 4 biases present on a given day, the S&P showed an impressive average return of 0.23%, with 62% of the days being positive.  Those rare ?4? days, when all biases were present, also gave an impressive performance, with even more of the days being positive.

Let?s say that in 1950, you had $10,000 to trade and decided to buy the S&P 500 (cash index) at every open and sell it at every close, using all your money.  Your $10,000 would have grown into just under $2 million by now.  Now let?s say that when a ?0? day arrived, you decided to stay in cash and not trade that day.

Interestingly enough, even though you were in the market only 74% of the time, your $10,000 would have still grown into just under $2 million.  Now let?s make it really interesting?when you saw a ?0? day, you still went to cash, but if it was a ?3? or ?4? day, then you decided to play the odds and you leveraged your bets 2-to-1.  In that case, your $10,000 initial stake would have grown into more than $13 million, a return of over 133,000%.

Buy Every Open, Sell Every Close?

Buy at Open and Sell at Close, IF Day is not a ?0??

Buy at Open and Sell at Close, IF Day is not a ?0?, and Double Down if it is a ?3? or ?4??

$10,000 Becomes?

$1,994,652

$1,997,418

$13,320,444

% Return

19,847%

19,874%

133,104%

PLEASE NOTE that this is NOT a trading system.  We have made no adjustments for dividends, slippage, commissions, interest on cash balances, etc.  Also, for the open price I used yesterday?s closing price, so gap opens are not accounted for ? not that it matters, since it wasn?t really even possible to trade the S&P 500 itself until the futures market came along in the early 1980?s.

By watching when the market may or may not have a positive bent to it, we can adjust our expectations accordingly.  While it is difficult to implement this type of information in practice, we do suggest that especially shorter-term traders watch the Seasonality Index daily, and when we get a ?3? or ?4? day, it probably pays to be more aggressive than usual on the long side.

It would be foolhardy to suggest going short on ?0? days, but we do think it is more difficult to make money on the long side on those days than others.  Longer-term traders may want to keep track of what the upcoming month may hold as far as these scores go, and when they begin to add up, it can pay to be more aggressive on the long side.