By
Helene Meisler
RealMoney.com Contributor
10/8/2008 5:38 AM EDT

I'll bet by now most folks wish the Fed heads would just shut up. I'll bet by now you even miss watching the congressional debates. Anything is better than watching the slow motion train wreck we have on our hands.

So I'll begin with a bit of optimism. We're still oversold. The number of stocks making new lows did not expand Tuesday. In fact, Nasdaq is now approaching the same oversold condition -- or just about -- as it was in that horrific week following the reopening of the markets in September 2001.

The chart below is a bit scrunchy since I had to put so much data on it. But note we have not been this oversold on Nasdaq in seven years.

The utilities, which if you ask me helped signal there was a problem out there, are also sitting on some support.

And if I really wanted to be an optimist I might even point out that the transports didn't make a lower intraday low Tuesday, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average did, which would be sort of a Dow Theory non-confirmation.

The real problem for me continues to lie in the intermediate-term indicators.

I'm sure you are tired of hearing how the 30-day moving average of the advance/decline line is still not yet oversold. I'm sure you are tired of hearing how the McClellan Summation indexes are still heading down. In fact, I ought to inject one other minor bit of good news here. The Summation index for the New York Stock Exchange now requires a net differential of +5200 advancers minus decliners to turn from down to flat. Typically, when we get to the point where we need +5000 or more, it means we're grossly oversold.

The sequence we require is still the same. An oversold rally needs to begin and lift us away from this area of trading. And then once we get a lift away from this area we can come down for a retest. I explained in Tuesday's column that we don't have to come all the way down to the lows. But we typically come back down at some point a week or so after the initial low. That's what should give the market some time to get those intermediate-term indicators lined up.

As long as I am trying to be an optimist here let me also note that the bond market was flat as a pancake Tuesday. We've usually seen a flight to quality into the bond market when stocks go down, but we didn't see that Tuesday. If this whole thing is coming out of the credit markets, then shouldn't we care what bonds are doing? And they didn't do what they have been doing, which is go up when stocks go down.

The bottom line is that we still need an oversold rally before we can have a retest. And the intermediate-term indicators are still not lined up for more than an oversold rally.

Note: I'm taking a few days off for Yom Kippur. My next column will be Tuesday, Oct. 14.

For more explanation of these indicators, check out The Chartist's primer.

Dave Fulkerson
President - Fulkerson Capital Management
Money Management for Your Retirement
www.davefulkerson.net
248-670-9823