Re: [RT] Time to end hedge funds?

Markets will always be free regardless of the constraints regulators attempt to place on them.  Our current "crisis" is a good example of market forces finally overcoming the artificial forces politicians have tried to exert for the past 60 years by creating affordable loans for those that couldn't qualify for a market rate loan.  Constrain a market, any market and pressure will build to it bursts.  Create a bubble and the bubble will burst.
Shorts will make a valuable contribution to launching the next bull market rally when they step in to cover their shorts and thus add buyer pressure moving off the bottom.

Having said all this, I agree with you 100% that nobody should be in a position to manipulate a market, not an individual, not a fund, not even a government.  To allow markets to truly operate freely requires an even playing field be established to begin with.

Boater805