[RT] WaMu Fails

J.P. Morgan Chase is picking up the pieces again.  The full story is
at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122238415586576687.html

Also, check out the Bloomberg article today in which it's predicted
that "about 100 U.S.  banks with collective assets of more than $800
billion will fail" by the end of 2009.  FDIC may be the next bail-out
on the horizon, looking for $150 billion.  This article is at
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601170&refer=home&sid=amZxIbcjZISU

The FDIC responded tonight with the following press release.  What
Bloomberg calls a bailout, the FDIC calls a "line of credit with the
Treasury Department."  Either way, it means the feds will issue more
debt and it's not leaving me feeling warm and fuzzy.

        "Open Letter to Bloomberg News about FDIC Deposit Insurance Fund

        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        September 25, 2008
        Media Contact:
        Andrew Gray (202-898-7192)

        Mr. John McCorry
        Executive Editor
        Bloomberg News

        Dear Mr. McCorry:

        Bloomberg reporter David Evans' piece ("FDIC May Need $150
        Billion Bailout as Local Bank Failures Mount," Sept.  25) does
        a serious disservice to your organization and your readers by
        painting a skewed picture of the FDIC insurance fund.  Let me
        be clear: The insurance fund is in a strong financial position
        to weather a significant upsurge in bank failures.  The FDIC
        has all the tools and resources necessary to meet our
        commitment to insured depositors, which we view as sacred.  I
        do not foresee – as Mr.  Evans suggests – that taxpayers may
        have to foot the bill for a "bailout."

        Let's look at the real facts about the FDIC insurance fund.
        The fund's current balance is $45 billion – but that figure is
        not static. The fund will continue to incur the cost of
        protecting insured depositors as more banks may fail, but we
        continually bring in more premium income.  We will propose
        raising bank premiums in the coming weeks to ensure that the
        fund remains strong.  And, at the same time, we will propose
        higher premiums on higher risk activity to create economic
        incentives for poorly managed banks to change their risk
        profiles. The fund is 100 percent industry-backed.  Our
        ability to raise premiums essentially means that the capital
        of the entire banking industry – that's $1.3 trillion – is
        available for support.

        Moreover, if needed, the FDIC has longstanding lines of credit
        with the Treasury Department.  Congress, understanding the
        need to ensure that working capital is available to the FDIC
        to provide bridge funding between the time a bank fails and
        when its assets are sold, provided broad authority for us to
        borrow from Treasury's Federal Financing Bank.  If necessary,
        we can potentially raise very large sums of working capital,
        which would be paid back as the FDIC liquidates assets of
        failed banks.  As per our authorizing statute, any money we
        might borrow from the Treasury must be paid back from industry
        assessments.  Only once in the FDIC's history have we had to
        borrow from the Treasury – in the early 1990s – and that money
        was paid back with interest in less than two years.

        Finally, Mr.  Evans' suggestion that the "government" could
        ever be "on the hook for uninsured deposits" demonstrates a
        misunderstanding of FDIC insurance.  To protect taxpayers, we
        are required to follow the "least cost" resolution, which
        means that uninsured depositors are paid in full only if this
        is the least costly option for the FDIC. This usually occurs
        when a bidder for the failed bank is willing to pay a higher
        price for the entire deposit franchise.  We are authorized to
        deviate from the "least cost" resolution only where a
        so-called "systemic risk" exception is made.  This is an
        extraordinary procedure which we have never invoked.  And
        again, any money we borrow from the Treasury Department must
        be repaid through industry assessments.

        I am confident in the strength of the FDIC's resources to make
        good on our sacred pledge to insured depositors.  And,
        remember, no depositor has ever lost a penny of insured
        deposits, and never will.

        Andrew Gray
        Director
        Office of Public Affairs