RE: [RT] E-mini Russell 2000

Actually...the CME did nothing because the ICE paid
$50 million for rights that are NOT exclusive. The CME
can trade and list the russell as long as they wish if
there are active open interest positions by the
agreement already in place between the russell folks
and the CME. ICE just bought the rights to now list it
themselves.

Whether the CME continues to trade the russell or not
has nothing to do with anything ICE did---the CME
contract already gives them the right to keep trading
it. Will they? They may just to irritate ICE or to
keep people from trading any ICE version. Or they may
decide they have a new product they like better and
eventually de-list the russell. But the CME doesn't
have to do a thing, never had to bid to get rights
they already own, etc. I'm not speaking from a
guessing standpoint here. It's in the contract.

SP600? Dunno. But also remember the Dow electronics
are going 24 hours I believe mid January? And for
retail size traders, the russell was ok, but it has a
real liquidy problem at times. I do think the CME will
continue to try to develop a broader based index that
is popular, but we'll see what they choose to do with
the russell, the SP600, etc as time goes.

The CME held the cards, they hold the cards...they are
making economic choices here, folks. ICE paid $50 mill
for a contract that is worth about $10-12 mill in
rights...Not a bright business move. But I suppose
they were reacting after losing the CBOT.

Tim Morge

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: