[RT] Re: AstroCycle research - Equities Nov. 9, 07

Very interesting charts
look down
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:33 PM
: AstroCycle research - Equities Nov. 9, 07

this man does some pretty interesting work:

Francis Bussiere <fb@xxxxxxxxxxcom> wrote:

Equities The BSI continues lower, but has reached -20 a level that brought a bounce in May 06, but remains on Sell the rallies since Oct. 19,07.
Dow Theory The Utilities joined the rally in the Industrials and the Transports and gave a long-term investing signal to Buy since Nov. 2003.
Bonds and Rates Bonds rallied after the Fed lowered the expectation for further rate cuts and are on a Buy since Nov. 2,07
Currencies The US Dollar broke recent lows and is on a Sell since Oct. 19,07 and is vulnerable to a panic sell-off before year end.
Precious Metals Gold and Gold stocks rallied as Gold rose above 700 bringing all time highs into play and putting us on a Buy since Sept. 7,07.
Commodities Oil and the CRB are consolidating above support and on a Buy since Nov. 9, 07 joining Gold and Metals on a Buy since Sept. 14, 07.

Technical Summary

The BSI continues lower, but has reached (-20), a level that brought a bounce in May 06 but remains on Sell the rallies since Oct. 19,07. November 9th was the 2nd New Moon after a the September 21st Cardinal Date and could mark a low, although it may be short lived. Short term Harmonics are suggesting that the 8 and 12 month cycle lows should start some short covering rallies before a solid low is made as the 3 month cycle bottoms near the end of November. With the shallow 4 year cycle low in 2006 and so far in 2007 we should continue to be vigilant for a delayed 4 year cycle low before early 2008 like we saw in the 1982-87 cycle.

Economic Summary

The Economic Dashboard suggests a high level of caution since Inflation expectations are higher than in 1987, and the Yield Curve has also turned down from high levels like in 1990 and 2001 which were both followed by recessions. With the US Dollar precariously low compared to US Interest rates we could see further market deterioration if US Bonds decline in value and rates rise or the US Dollar declines further causing a financial shock. While the 2006 Yield Curve inversion predicts a recession in 2008, the Volatility model suggests one will occur near 2013, unless we get a 1974 style recession or a deep pullback like in 1987, both of which also occurred after decade lows in Volatility like we just had in 2006.

Cardinal Moon Dates

November 9th was the 2nd New Moon after the September 21st Cardinal Date and could mark a low, although it may be short lived.
Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Cycle Harmonics

The 3, 8 and 12 month cycles have all pulled down this market sharply in November, but two of the cycles have already turned up and we should start seeing some short covering rallies before a solid low is made as the 3 month cycle bottoms near the end of November.
Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

The 4 year cycle low is well known and not to be ignored

A warning comes to us from the reliable 4 year cycle lows as shown in this chart of the SPX since 1948. Only a few of the 4 year cycle lows have been minor, and it could be argued that the 1987 crash was the delayed effect of the suppressed 1986 cycle low. With Global Equities on the rise since the last cycle low in 2002 and a correction overdue, we must be very cautious even into early 2008 until Equities correct at least 10-20%. Also take note that years ending in 3 and 7 are 75% more likely to have a serious decline than any other years.
Charts courtesy of DecisionPoint.com

Charts courtesy of DecisionPoint.com

Economic Dashboard: Bonds, Inflation and Capital flows

The rapid economic expansion since 2003 has caused the Yield curve (white line) to rise rapidly to levels last seen in 1989 and 2000 just before economic contractions began. The contraction that started in 1989 was mild since the relative position of the US Dollar versus US Interest Rates (red line) was favorable and Inflation expections (blue line) were recovering. The next economic expansion that ended in 2000 was fueled by an exceptional "Goldilocks" combination of slowly rising Yield curve (white line) and declining Inflation expectations (blue line) mostly from a rising US Dollar from foreign Capital Inflows (red line). The contraction that followed the expansion of 2000 was severe, but not enough to significantly slow foreign Capital Inflows (red line) which kept long-term Rates low and started a sharp recovery into 2007 mostly from mortgages. According to the Yield Curve (white line) we are near the end of this economic expansion, and with high Inflation expectations like in 1987, and high Capital Inflows like in 2000, this coming contraction could be severe as well.

Bond Market Cash Flows - A strong economy causes the Yield curve to flatten (white line to rise) as earnings grow and extra cash flows to the Bond market, causing rates to drop and fueling the economic growth even more. As the Economy overheats and Inflation rises, the Fed raises rates causing the Yield curve to invert and the process to reverse with cash flowing out of the bond market to replace declining revenues from the economic contraction, causing rates to rise and aggravating the contraction even more.

Inflation Expectations - When Gold is stronger than Commodities (blue line declining), we have high Inflation expectations that should cause the Fed to raise rates to slow economic growth and keep inflation under control.

Capital Inflows - When the US Dollar is stronger than Rates (red line rising) it is suggestive of foreign inflows and supportive of US Assets.
Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

The Yield Curve Inversion and the Fed pause add up to caution

Contrary to popular belief, Equities have already achieved most of their gains when the Fed stops raising Rates, especially when the Yield Curve goes inverted like we had in 2006. This can be seen in the corrections in Equities after the Fed paused in 1981, 1989, 2001 and now probably 2006. The reverse also applies, it is best to buy Equities after the Fed ends an aggressive Rate easing campaign that takes the Yield Curve well below the average 1-3% spread, like in 1982, 1987, 1992 and 2003.
Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Recession Watch

The Yield Curve inversion is widely known to have successfully predicted recessions and this over many decades. We have had a significant Yield Curve inversion in 2006 similar to the one in 2000, and both were stronger than the one in 1989. Since the last three Yield Curve inversions gave us recessions in 1981, 1990 and 2001, many are watching this indicator and expecting a recession in the next 12 months. I have also discovered another good predictor of recessions, based on the correlation between Solar Sunspot and ouput cycles and the Volatility index (VIX) . Recessions almost always occur after extended periods of Volatility that disrupts normal functioning of the economy like in 1960, 1970, 1981, 1990 and 2001. The single exception was the 1974 recession which was probably a continuation of the one started in 1970. While this model predicts a recession will occur near 2013, another 1974 like recession near the low of the cycle is possible in 2008 according to the Yield Curve inversion in 2006.
Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Liquidity induced Bubble Watch

After the roaring Twenties took debt to 270% of GDP in an unsustainable way, the collapse of this debt led to the great Depression, WWII, and a distinct distrust of paper assets and debt. Debt levels then returned to a more manageable 150% of GDP before rising again, mostly from the growth of mortgages as the real estate and commodities bubble took hold in the late 1970's. When these real asset bubbles collapsed, much of the funds moved to the Nikkei forming another bubble and pushing the Yen sharply higher in the late 1980's. Once the Japanese bubble collapsed, funds flowed back to US and European markets fueling their rise in the late 1990's, and confirmed by the rising US Dollar. The ensuing US market collapse of 2000 sent the funds back into real assets like Commodities and Real Estate, but this time embracing even more debt and leverage to 350% of GDP. We have phenomenal growth of credit in absolute terms too, with US Treasuries and total credit both expanded 9-10 times since the first bubble formed 27 years ago. Since we are already seeing the first flight away from risky paper, history is likely to repeat itself, and 60% of this debt will be eventually wiped out mostly worthless in the next 5 to 15 years.
Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Charts courtesy of StockCharts.com

Dave MacKay

Checked by AVG Free Edition.