Re: [RT] Trading Computer Specs

Thank you very much to both Pete and Bob for your feedback. Its VERY
helpful.

Bob

--- In realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Fulks <bfgroups@xxx> wrote:

> At 11:40 AM 9/28/2006, you wrote:
>
> >You don't need any "special" machine to run TS or to trade.  Just
get a machine with lots of RAM (1 Gig will generally do, but 2 is
better), a pretty fast hard drive and a pretty fast processor (they
don't have to be the latest and most expensive) and you will be
fine.  If you run multiple monitors, make sure you have a good
graphics card and don't use the CPU for driving the monitors.  You
will not save any money be specing out a machine as any manufacturer
produces machines to company specs in volume to reduce costs.  Your
one-of-a-kind will be more expensive.

> Use Windows XP Pro, not Media Center.
>
> I use Dell or Sony machines.  Get a fast graphics card and a DVD
writer for saving backups. Sony has better cooling and they seem to
have fixed a lot of the memory leaks in XP and the drivers - they run
for weeks without rebooting, unlike Dell. Sony has fixed
configurations (not design-your-own, like Dell) but they include most
everything you will need. They change models every few months and the
few-months-old models are often sold at good discounts.

> >There are ways to streamline and raise the efficiency of
EasyLanguage code if you are running a lot of indicators.  Change the
function calls to straight code and change the indicators to update
only when there is a price change and you will probably save about
30% or better on CPU overhead.

> Not worth the trouble to change the functions to straight code.
This makes little difference.

> But DEFINITELY set the indicators to NOT "Update value intra-bar
(tick by tick)". This will save a HUGE amount of CPU time, especially
when trading the emini's of QQQQ, etc with lots of ticks per day.

> Bob Fulks

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: