Re: [RT] Swimming Against the Tide

It's my recollection that William O'Neil (IBD) developed those numbers which were published in his book.

Earl
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [RT] Swimming Against the Tide

In a message dated 5/21/2006 3:40:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, nwinski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Here is something that every stock picker needs to know.

   50% of all individual stock price behavior is attributable to the general market trend.

  Another 35% of individual stock price behavior is attributable to its industry or sector.

  That only leaves a 15% probability that all of your hard work picking individual stocks will translate to anything.

I seen those numbers mentioned over the years.  Can anyone quote a study or 'proof' of this statement.  Where do these numbers come from and how accurate are they?

Howard Bernstein

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS