Re: [RT] My impression is that many had a bad day

-----Original Message-----
From: momotrdr
Sent: Oct 23, 2005 2:54 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] My impression is that many had a bad day

Ok, then you simply re-enforced the definition that I offered unto the group.

If by the "Not Automated" part you mean you simply execute the trades manually,
and needn't the help of a Automatic Execution algorithm, then ok. It is a system that
you simply manually place the trades. However, given this post as well as your previous
ones you also stated, that you *disregarded* some signals.

I EXPLAINED THAT I HAVEN'T TAKEN THAT TRADE BECAUSE OF A RULE THAT MADE THIS ENTRY ILLEGAL (IT WAS NOT CONFIRMED BY HIGHER TIME FRAME CHART)

 So by your own definition
of ,>>a system is a set of rules which must be adhered to to enter and exit trades without using discretion<<, your back to the basics of Discretion.

I understand from what you've described that you have several rules, "multiple choices",

MULTIPLE CHOICES WAS MENTIONED AS AN EXAMPLE OF DISCRETIONARY TRADING NOT SYSTEM TRADING

"higher time frames", etc.. There again, if you in fact have written and listed rules by
which to enter and exit your trades then they could in fact be programmed and allowed
to be traded automatically. However, again as you described earlier, you are choosing to
disregard some signals.

AGAIN, I DISREGARD SIGNALS WHICH DON'T SATISFY SYSTEM RULES

The Toolkit, indicator set, collage of oscillators, etc.. are therefore
simply allowing you to take precise trades at a specific time or tick bar. But in the end
you as the trader are having to consider "Market Structure" and then simply REACT to what
you are seeing. If you feel the signal makes no sense given the market environment,
then you simply negate that signal and move on. Is this correct?

NO, IT ISN'T. SEE ABOVE

If so, then all I'm suggesting is that you simply use correct semantics.

By sharing with the group in your earlier post you were attempting to share how your "system"
and therefore "Systems" in general could potentially trade very effectively in the market
environment that some traders may find difficult. However, in reality all you've shown is
that your toolkit, pointed out some good points of entry in retrospect. Which again brings us
back to the reality that unless you as the trader REALLY took those trades then the
signals as a retrospective point of reference mean nothing.

WHETHER I TOOK OR NOT IS UNIMPORTANT. I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE SYSTEM ITSELF AS COMPARED WITH SETUPS
OF DISCRETIONARY TRADING.

What you are describing to us is more the fact that points of entry were pointed out to go
in the correct direction of market during the day. Well hopefully you took those entry
points. If so, then your discretionary mind REACTED to the right "signals" being displayed
on your charts.

NO DISCRETION USED

If you are really trying to make the arguement that your rules clearly define when, where, and how to take a trade, then Why not automate?

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF HAVING THE CONFIRMING RULES CODED,
HOWEVER, BECAUSE OF TICKBAR CHARTS I'M USING THERE ARE
SOME PROBLEMS WITH HAVING EXACT TRANSFER FROM THE HIGHER TIME FRAME TO LOWER.

My interpretation of this is that you cannot. Simply because your "system" requires YOU behind the screens in order to take the correct trades.

IT WILL UNTIL THE CODING IS DONE

Jan Philipp

jan4123@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
It is a matter of definition.
In my vocabulary, automated system has fully coded entry and exit signals.
Not automated, but still a system is a set of rules which must be adhered to to enter and exit trades without using discretion (e.g. having multiple choices). It can be a combination of coded signals with a set of additional rules, e.g. requiring signal confirmation by a higher time frame chart which I use.

That is how I define it, but I may accept other definitions without them affecting my stomach and I hope yours is better :-).

Jan Philipp