[RT] Great Documentation for Investment and Trading Systems including Excel/ VBA

Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 10:49 PM
Subject: [xlt] Great Documentation for Investment and Trading Systems
including Excel / VBA

Great Documentation for Investment and Trading Systems

Just wanted to let people know about a new, free Encyclopedia for
Investors and Traders who are building or maintaining systems:

Http://www.ITSdoc.org

"ITSdoc" stands for "Its Documentation."

The site attempts to provide highly accurate documentation in an
encyclopedia format. It's 100% free, with no advertising whatsoever
and no soliciting. The entity is entirely non-profit.

Users are invited to contribute high quality material to the site and
also draw from the considerable knowledge base hosted there. If you
are coding investment and trading systems you will probably find this
site extremely helpful.

It's new; the official launch isn't until January so the site has a
few rough edges right now. Still, it's very useful. There are a
few select Excel tables covering investment topics on the site and I
hope to post a considerable amount of Excel/VBA code related to
investing in near future.

I hope you get a lot out of it. Please help promote it and put
something back into it too.

Rick

--------------------

peter.wall (on the Excel-L developers list responds) > WTF?

--------------------

Peter,

To avoid spamming, I'll post one more time to EXCEL-L and unless
there are more general questions I'll be happy to respond
individually. Just mail to: rick_at_ITSdoc_point_org

Here is the logic behind ITSdoc.org which stands for "It's
Documentation."

In the past, there were many people on this list from major
investment houses, brokers, traders, sophisticated individual
investors, etc. that worked Excel quite hard when doing investment
analysis. Virtually all analysts producing buy/hold/sell investment
reports including earnings estimates are familiar with Excel. I was
hoping to reach some of these power user / VBA programming types,
particularly stock and bond international players.

I myself have done a ton with Excel and VBA in the investment area,
yet much work remains to take it to a higher, more integrated level.
I looked around for various open source projects in the investments
area that might be of interest and found quite a few, all spread out
to Java, Excel/VBA, C++, C#, Perl, Lisp, PHP ... etc. In total there
is a good volume of great quality open source code. Plus, there is a
huge amount of coding talent waiting "in the wings" to
demonstrate expertise in this area.

Taking a cue from MSFT I thought, write the objects one-time, and
then allow each language group to call them in their own unique way.
I took that a step further and decided the whole thing needs to start
out with a clear road map - i.e. great documentation, prior to
even begin to think about writing the code for the object libraries,
or trying to adapt existing open source code to work more coherently
together. To set a clear direction I envisioned taking a 20-year
forward view in terms of designing the open source code library. The
result of that thinking is an attempt to collect and collate the
documentation that would be required to start that process, all on a
well-organized, neutral site. The documentation would then liberate
coders from having to learn all about investments from the ground up
and to discover the various difficulties in dealing with asynchronous
messaging, floor brokers, crossed markets, options and futures
expirations, fundamental data feeds, cleaning up dirty data, hooking
up to others systems, conforming to emerging message standards, etc.

ITSdoc.org is the result of that thinking. The site allows multiple
open source projects to begin to share at least meta level
documentation, all written in a style enjoyable for coders. The goal
is to coalesce better, more integrated open source object libraries
in the investment area.

Frankly, because of my own personal highly positive attitude towards
Excel and VBA, I would like that that language to be very well
represented in all of this, hence, the posting here. In the open
source arena the Java players tend to quickly take the high ground. I
want to insure there is a good continuing role for Excel and VBA.

Of course Excel / VBA isn't the logical choice for some of the
more intense real-time analytical work, high speed data feed
processing, basic database tables, or heavy data visualization tasks.
However, when it comes to rows, columns, pivot tables, and visual
programming on the fly, it just can't be beat!

--

--

Help tsunami villages rebuild at GlobalGiving. The real work starts now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/njNroD/KbOLAA/cosFAA/zMEolB/TM