From: EAdamy
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 8:46 AM
Subject: [RT] Hussman on inflation

My impression is that the market's interpretation of inflation risks here, seen most clearly in the surge in gold prices, is basically correct. As I've long noted, inflation essentially reflects expansion in unproductive government spending. “Unproductive” in this sense doesn't refer to the social value of that spending, but the likelihood that it will add to productive capacity of the economy that did not previously exist and would not have existed if the funds were invested otherwise. If disasters were good for the economy, then we'd see a city rebuilt every year. Unfortunately, disasters cause economic disruptions, and rebuilding replaces rather than adds to productive capacity. Sure, some things will be rebuilt better than before, but those benefits are likely to be overwhelmed by the disruptions, not only in economic activity, shipping, and so forth, but in the natural resources markets. It's clear that some of the greatest demand impacts from Katrina will be on commodities such as lumber, oil and other real goods. In short, my impression is that the markets are correct and not nearly complete in responding to the inflationary potential of a government that promises hundreds of billions of dollars in real goods and services without the means to pay for them.

emphasis in red is mine

Earl

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.