[RT] AN OPINION ON LAPTOPS

Group-

This is an opinion from one of my networking contacts.  Just thought I'd share it with the group.

Chas
====

Hi

I am very partial to Toshiba/IBM/Sony/Futjitsu  all are Japanese built .. the rest of then ( all of the laptops) are built in Taiwan in 2 factories .. just crank out different cases ..

The Japs build better stuff than Taiwan ( look at cars , as an example )

Good resource is  www.eritech.com       Refurbs ( warranty or demo returns ) with a significant price saving as well as warranty ..  believe it or not Costco is also okay ( but new)

I would go with the P4 with hyperthread over an AMD for just that reason ( Hyperthread is like a dual cpu ) want at least 1 gig of ram ( if he's going to run trading stuff on it )  Prefer the ATI graphics card over a Nvidia ...   min 5400 rpm HD , prefer 7200 rpm  ( few have that )

The Amd will run a little warmer than the P4 , but the P4 ( they now refer to the cpu's as 500 and 700 series etc ) isn't that cool either ..  always elevate the lappy off the desk at the rear or get a lappy cooler for 25 bucks ..  heat kills these babies ... and it's reflected off the desk surface back onto the main components

17 wide screen is real nice for trading ... but a little big to carry .. but worth it .. all the new ones allow an extra hang on external monitor so you can go dual ...  but get a lappy with a PMCIA slot and you can add an additional video card also ...

That's about it ..    I found eritech to provide good service / great prices and if you are not in CA ..  no taxes either ...

Happy to help anymore if I can ..

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.