From: Andrew Nopper [mailto:nopper@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 11:04 AM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RT] Commodities, especially live cattle

Yes, I'm afraid your math is wrong as you're comparing apples to oranges. You're trying to equate a fully invested stock account with a fully utilized (not sure that anyone 'invests' in futures) futures account. Won't happen - at least not with anyone who's been trading for more than a few months. The fact that futures are highly leveraged doesn't necessarily imply more risk. Whether it's stocks (far too risky for me) or futures, I risk a specific $ amount and look for a specific reward. I don't care whether the leverage is a million to 1. My risk is pre-determined. Yes, I think that some commodities are more risky than others, but that's a function of the commodity itself, not the fact that it's a future.

Having said all that, I still haven't seen any futures contract lose 95% of its value overnight and, yes, I'm still bitter over Bre-X.

Andrew