Re: [RT] Commodities, especially live cattle

Title: Message
Your arguments are all correct Norm.  The fact is, I believe, that the majority of people trading futures in this chat room are doing so because of the low dollar amount required and the leverage available.  They can't day trade stocks or stock options because they don't have the $25,000 to commit to an account.  I am not saying that they don't have the money.  I am saying that they don't have that amount available to commit to a trading account.  To trade $100,000 in stock you need at least $50,000. To trade $120,000 in currency all you need is a couple thousand dollars.  Quite a temptation.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 7:28 AM
Subject: RE: [RT] Commodities, especially live cattle

-----Original Message-----
From: Trey Johnson [mailto:dickjohnson3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 9:42 AM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Andrew,

   You mean there's another reason that driving is risky? Isn't that why people buy car insurance? Futures trading is most certainly riskier than stocks, theoretically.

NW: Why do you think futures are more risky than stocks? If you equalize the leverage, on average, most commodities are less volatile than the average stock. Have you ever seen a commodity lose 50%  of its value in one day or become worthless in a few days? I have seen many stocks do that.

 First, futures trading is a zero sum game.

Stocks are also a zero sum game.

 Secondly, futures have expiration dates. You never have to worry about taking delivery of live cattle when trading stocks.

NW: Only about 1% of all futures are ever used for delivery. This is a red herring argument.

 Thirdly, it's a mathematical fact that leverage increases risk. If you have an account fully invested at a leverage of 10 to 1, then a 10% move against you in the underlying wipes you out. They same account trading with no leverage would require a 100% move against you to wipe you out. From a probability standpoint, which is more likely to happen, a 10% move or a 100% move? Please correct me if I'm wrong with my math here as certainly wouldn't be the first time. Of course, someone trading the leveraged account would compensate for the increased risk by trading fewer contracts. In stocks, most people don't trade with leverage. If they do, it's by choice. Plus, they must get approval and there are limits to the amount of margin. However, in futures everyone is leveraged. Therefore, futures trading, from a leverage stand point is most certainly more risky than non-leveraged stock trading.

NW: You are wrong. The leverage offered in futures is optional. No one is making you get fully margined. Comparing futures to stocks by using the fully margined futures example is like comparing apples to oranges.  If you want to make a fair comparison, use the same amount of margin for each.

Remember, the risk of loss for futures and stocks is substantial.

Regards,

Norm

  As you pointed out, there are measures one can take to limit the risk: position sizing, stops, spreads, options, close trade prior to delivery, etc. Risk management is key.

    Back to the original question. One thing I do for any market I trade is go back through the entire history and measure the following.

        1. Series of runs. That is, how many times has the market gone up/down X number of days/weeks/months in a row. Starting at 1 up to the maximum.

        2. The maximum move up/dn in a day, week, month. Do this as a percentage and in dollars.

        3. For markets with daily limits, measure the number of limit moves and then measure how many times the market has made limit moves in row up/dn. What was the dollar value the percentage move each time.

Use all these values and measures as risk proxies, keeping in mind that those extreme, rare values most certainly will be exceeded at some point in the future. Make sure you and your account can handles these possibilities. I hope this helps.

Trey