Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 3:38 PM
Subject: RE: [RT] Commodities, especially live cattle

Unfortunately, no markets are immune to these types of extreme events. Taleb refers to them as 'black swans'. They're much more common than most people and statistics assume and totally unpredictable. I'm not 'in the know', but I think it comes with the territory. Trading futures is very risky because of the leverage. At least cattle has a daily limit, so you know you can't lose more than that in a day;) Although you might not be able to get out and suffer even more limit moves against your position. Personally, I don't trade markets with limit moves because I always want the option of being able to get out if I want. I got trapped in lumber once and I've never traded another market with daily limits again. I hated feeling totally helpless, sitting there hoping that the market will come back just so I can get out. It was awful. It wasn't even a lot of money, but I don't ever want to feel that way again. Trading is risky enough, why add to it by getting into market where you might not be able to get out. Plus, I think those limits are like magnets. They're like sitting targets and those markets want to test them. In your situation, you could hedge with an option. But, do they stop cattle option trading during limit moves? Other ideas: trade less size, trade other markets in addition to cattle to diversify. I hope this helps.
Trey

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada