Fw: [RT] FOR PETE'S SAKE, THIS IS (OR WAS) A TRADING BOARD, TAKE POLITICS ELSEWHERE!

From: "H&M Feld" <ariel@xxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: [RT] FOR PETE'S SAKE, THIS IS (OR WAS) A TRADING BOARD, TAKE
POLITICS ELSEWHERE!

There is an interview with "The Wizard of Wharton", professor Jeremy Siegal,
in the September issue of SFO (Stocks Futures & Options) that asks that very
same question. Here is the quote:

Question: We're now in a presidential year, so what kind of unique gyrations
have historical studies shown you about political years?

Answer: I find that the stock market wants Republicans to win, and in fact
they respond better, at least in the short run, when Republicans are
elected. Interesting, though, is that in the year following a Republican
victory that gain is nearly wiped out. Since 1948, real stock returns under
Democrats have actually been higher than under Republicans. So, in the long
run, it doesn't really make that much difference, even though the market
immediately responds better to a Republican victory.
Harry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/zMEolB/TM