Re: [RT] The Top Is In

A few thoughts on energy:

1) oil prices have held at the high end of a range for some time now which
suggests some equilibrium has been achieved in the market

2) it is only recently that spending on development projects has risen and
there is considerable lead time in bringing production on line ... see
charts of service stocks. There is, to date, scant evidence that increased
development can do much more than maintain current production levels. For
example, production is declining in the vast oil fields of Saudi Arabia.
Russia is becoming the swing producer making up for declines in other
international fields.

3) Asia, China in particular, is becoming a larger force in the consumption
of petroleum products. China is now importing significant quantities of oil
from the ME and is taking a larger political interest.

4) Major Liquefied Natural Gas projects are in the works, however current
facilities and the very specialized LNG tanker fleet are insufficient to
make a major dent. It will likely be about 2 years before LNG can supply a
significant portion of US demand.

5) I think odds are high that there will be a gradual reprising of petroleum
products (oil, NG, and LNG) to a basket of currencies including dollar, yen,
and euro. This is inevitable should dollar weakness continue on a long term
basis, and I believe it will. This should serve to put some upward pressure
on products priced in US$.

Earl