[RT] Spl-Trend: The Unparabolic truth

I just went over the last couple of weeks of messages, and saw the
ones about the Spl-Trend indicator. As the one who made the indicator
I can tell you categorically: Spl-Trend and parabolic have
absuolutely NOTHING to do with each other. The same claim as to their
similarity was made on the Omega-List by the same gentleman who made
them here, and the following post by an aquaintance put the matter to
rest over there...

"
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spl-Trend indicator

...However, I still maintain that not only are they not "practically
identical", they are not even comparable. I've seen the Spl-Trend
code, and there is absolutely no connection to Parabolic. The
Parabolic is really a simple concept, which takes the value of the
last swing-high/low and then moves the stop a certain percentage each
bar. After the first stop value, parabolic doesn't care about trends,
about whether the market is going up or down, etc., not to speak
about the VERY large initial stops you have to have with parabolic
most of the time.

I hope to put the matter to rest with the following:

I reversed the stops on both indicators to turn them into signals.
Meaning, sell when the buystop is hit and buy when the sellstop is
hit, thus alternating positions. I applied both signals to a 5-min SP
chart with an exit-on-close-of-day signal (+$25 commission). The
chart goes from 1/1/2001 to 9/30/2002.

Running the parabolic system with twenty optimizations of
the "Parabolic(AccelFactor)" input

I got the following results: only ONE out of 20 optimizations was
profitable (0.01) with the following numbers:

Net profit: $28900
Max ID: $60750

In order to be fair, I only optimized ONE of the inputs in Spl-Trend,
StopS, which is the main stop variable. I left the others on default.
I got the following (please remember this is NOT the Spl-Trend Signal
indicator Phil is working on, this is just something I drummed up in
about one minute...) :

13 out of 20 optimizations were profitable with the best having the
following numbers:

Net Profit: $79500
Max ID: $31550

Hardly "practically identical". Remember, I'm not saying this is a
viable system, I just did this to make a point: the two have nothing
to do with each other.
"

That was the Omega-list post. Now, Jan claims that the input in
parabolic which was so similar to my indicator was an accelfactor of
0.35. So, just to make sure, I tested the parabolic signal with that
value (BTW, I'm not sure what he meant. Applying them both to a chart
show TOTALLY different values), and here are the results:

Net Profit: -$446950 (Yes, that is a minus)
Max ID: -488225 (Yes, that is a minus)

All the best,

Phil

--- In realtraders@xxxx, "JHP" <jan4123@xxxx> wrote:
> I was able to match the turns - from Long to Short and vice versa -
> on the same bar almost every time.
>
> Jan Philipp

Drawdown