Re: [RT] TS 2000i ....slow data

--- In realtraders@xxxx, "Sean Cassidy" <scassidy@xxxx> wrote:
> Ok i think I found the problem.....I only have 14% of resources
free, so how do I fix?

Make sure you aren't starting programs you don't need and then reboot.

or

Clean install of Win2K.

How about your HD? Is it old, slow, and/or full? A freebie called
MPower can benchmark your HD. A slow or corrupted HD will cause your
data to back up when your 'puter tries to write it to the HD.

FWIW, I have an old AMD 900, 400 symbols/ 30 charts+, QCharts,
Dynastore, TS4, and NO delay.

BW

> Thnaks for all the help.
>
> SMC

inefficiently.  Without seeing the code, I can't be more specific,
but there are some standard mistakes I see over and over again
leading to inefficient EasyLanguage code.  For example, very often I
see code where some particular calculation is repeated over and over
again with the same parameters, instead of calling the function once,
storing the result in a variable, and then referencing the stored
value as necessary.

>   High-level languages like C++ or Delphi have "optimizing
compilers" that will automatically analyze the code and find the most
efficient way to implement it.  TS does no optimization by itself.
So it's up to the programmer to think through what the code is doing
and find the most efficient way to get it done.  Doing this well can
make a huge difference in the ability to actually run an indicator in
real time.

>   If you're willing to share the code with the group, I and others
can take a look at it and make suggestions.  If not, you either need
to learn how to do this kind of optimization yourself, or find
someone who will do it for you.  I agree that your computer should be
more than adequate to run virtually any indicator if it's efficiently
programmed, and throwing more hardware at the problem is not the best
way to solve it.

>   Wait - there's one other possibility.  What is the CPU usage on
your machine (Task Manager in Win NT/2000/XP) when *nothing* is
running?  You may have some other process running on your machine
that is eating up all your processing cycles.  For example, I've seen
old DOS programs running under Windows that will do an infinite loop
while waiting for a keystroke.  They "eat" the entire CPU in the
process, slowing down all other running applications enormously.
When there is no other activity, your CPU usage should show as close
to 0% - if it's still high, then that's the source of your problem.

>     Merlin

program is too much for my pc?.....the no indicator set to every tick
function?

processor......quote.com emulator, e-mini (NQ 1min, 15 min; ES 3 min,
15 min, and 100 other symbols in real time. 3 workspaces, about 50
indicators and systems, etc. in total are running.
>       OK, today is a slow day, but the Task Manager stats are:
>       AVG CPU USAGE: 5%
>       PEAK CPU USAGE: 15%
>       MEM USAGE: 150MB
>
>       Key fact: NO INDICATORS SET TO "UPDATE EVERY TICK". For
that "feature", then YES, you will need to upgrade.

details.asp?sku=s450-3022&SRCCODE=WEM378Z

>         Here is a link to a computer using an AMD XP-2000 (1.66 GHz
actual clock speed) processor for $260.00.  This is a "bare bones
kit" which means that it does not include drives ( hard, floppy, CD
or DVD).  You simply unplug your existing drives and install them in
your new computer (not hard to do). It also does not include Video
card or modem.  The modem you have is probably fine unless it is very
old, however the video card is probably junk unless you have recently
up-graded it.  You need at least a 64 Mg. card ($49.95) for graphic
applications such as charting.  It includes 124 MB DDR memory and is
upgradeable to 3 GB!!!!  An additional 256 MB of memory is $70.00.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?
sku=tc1-ddr-256  You can add 2 of these if you wish or go to 512 MB
for $173 each
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?
sku=K43-1904 and keep an open slot for future addition.

>         The advantage of a "bare bones kit", besides the low price,
is that since you are keeping your existing hard drive the new
computer will immediately have all your programs, files, old e-mails,
links, shortcuts, in other words everything, loaded.  The
disadvantage is you will need to plan to have a weekend available to
swap the drives.  It will probably take less time but allow 2 days
just in case.

>         Back up everything.  You should not have any problems but
if an accident occurs (drop the hard drive and it's a door stop) it
is better to be safe.

>         Now you just have to convince the wife you REALLY need a
new computer instead of that gold necklace. One bad trade because of
a slow (or frozen) computer will cost you more than the $400.00 spent
to upgrade.

>         Good luck and good trading,
>
>         Ray Raffurty
>
>         P.S.  I have no association with Tiger Direct except as a
customer.  Also they have other kits and complete computers that
might suite you better so check out the web site.

with a fairly big and complicated els file that is good at
identifying trends. The size of the file seems to slow down the
drawing of the chart. The chart is usually a few minutes behind the
actual price. I know it is the els file that is slowing it down
because a blank chart seems to work fine. I recently upgraded from
240 to 640 mbs of memory and that did seem to help, but only a
little. A friend has the same study on a machine with less memory and
it seems to work Ok. Its too bad because the siftware has been very
helpful.

>           Any suggestions?
>
>           SMC
>
>           To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>

>           Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
of Service.

>         To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>

>         Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

>       To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>

>       Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

Service.

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.