Subject: Re: [RT] Selling Uncovered Puts
Date: 10/21/2002 11:47pm

John:

Gary is absolutely right.

I know John was not talking about doing covered calls on TTWO, but
here is a
thought.  Without giving up on the idea of playing the options on
that stock
completely, here is a slight improvement on the 7% return scenario,
using the
Naked Put theme John initially asked about --

So instead of buying the stock and selling a covered call, sell a
naked Mar
17.50 put, currently at $1.35 bid.  Your broker will mostly likely
ask for a
margin of $17.50 just in case you are put the stock.  So the return
is
slightly better than the 7% from doing covered calls.  ($1.35 divided
by
$17.50 =) 7.71%, or better if less margin than the $17.50 is
required, or if
there is other equity in the account to be used for margin...

And if you are not put the stock, only one commission is paid.

7.71% (or more) return on investment, for 5 months, = 18.50% (or
more)
annualized.  Beats many mutual funds these days.  Now don't everybody
rush
out and do this-- the open interest on this is still low.  (:o)

Just a thought.

Bill W

In a message dated 10/21/2002 7:10:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Thanks John. Interesting site,
> <A
HREF="http://www.optionsnewsletter.com/";>http://www.optionsnewsletter.
com</A>
> but just looking at one random recommendation:
>
> Covered Call: 1
> Name of the Company: Take-two Interactive S
>
> Stock Symbol is <A HREF="http://www.optionsnewsletter.com/page.cfm?
id=145&page=customizer&ticker=TTWO">TTWO</A>

> Last Price of stock: $27.63
>
> Call being sold is: March 17.5
>
> Symbol for the call is: UOCW
>
> Bid Price of the call: $11.30
>

> IN PLAIN ENGLISH If you buy 100 shares of  Take-two Interactive S
at the
> price of
> Then sell 1 contract of the March 17.5 call for
> Your "New" cost on Take-two Interactive S would be
>   $27.63
> - $11.30
>    $16.33
>
> ( $2,763.00 )
> ( $1,130.00 )
> ( $1,633.00 )
> On the third Friday in March if the stock is above 17.5 , Then it
will get
> taken ("Called") away from you at $17.50. In turn you would make 7%
on your
> investment.
>
> Above, that $17.50 option is a full $10 in the money. Consulting
the
> options quote:
> <A HREF="http://quote.cboe.com/QuoteTable.asp?
TICKER=ttwo&ALL=2">http://quote.cboe.com/QuoteTable.asp?
TICKER=ttwo&ALL=2</A>

> There's zero open interest in that particular option, and even
though the
> bid shown is $11.30, I wonder how realistic that quote will be if
you
> actually try and execute the trade?
>
> When I look at this trade, can't help wondering if there isn't a
better way
> to earn 7% on my money? I also think that any service that makes
> recommendations should filter out very thinly traded options, say,
> restricting their choices to strikes that trade an average of 100
> contracts/day.

Is your business paying to much?
Affordable insurance and benefits packages for Less.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/jCP0DB/E.mEAA/jd3IAA/zMEolB/TM