Re: [RT] Security Alert - Windows Critical Update Page Not Working

Mark:

Thanks for the security alert.

Just to let any others on the list know, I went to the windows
update page that checks for all available updates that are applicable to your
system, and this one did not even show - even though I recently installed the IE
5.5 Security Pack 2 in mid November!  I guess I am going to have to stop
trusting the IE windows update page, and start scanning each individual product
update page for updates.

Ed

<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV
  Mark Jurik

  To: <A title=Omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:Omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx";>'Omega List' ; <A
  title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>'Realtraders'
  Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 12:31
  AM
  Subject: [RT] Security Alert -- a web
  page can force software onto your computer
  On 13-DEC-01, Microsoft posted a Security Bulletin about a
  new security vulnerablity with IE 5, IE 6 and Outlook.  In short,
  ....1. A malicious web page could force your computer to download
  files and install them without your knowledge, automatically.2. A web
  page could pop up a dialog box displaying a message that you are about to
  download a file with a phony filename.  This way the surfer may think he
  is downloading readme.txt, while the real filename is virus.exe3. The
  source of the file can be blocked out, preventing you from knowing where the
  souce file is located.4. This vulnerability can also be exploited
  through Microsoft Outlook (which uses IE to display HTML e-mails). Simply
  previewing an HTML e-mail in Outlook is enough to allow a hacker to install
  arbitrary code onto your system.For more information, go here
  ....<A
  href="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-058.asp";>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-058.aspIf
  you are running IE 5.5 or 6, you can get the Microsoft patch here ...
  <A
  href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/q313675/default.asp";>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/q313675/default.asp-
  Mark JurikTo

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor