Re: [RT] Off topic: Computer software question

Here is the information from " Start", "Help" search on
.dll

Understanding DLL Files
A dynamic-link library (DLL) file is an executable file that allows programs
to share code and other resources necessary to perform particular tasks.
Microsoft Windows provides DLL files that contain functions and resources that
allow Windows-based programs to operate in the Windows environment.
DLLs most often appear as files with a .DLL extension; however, they may also
have an .exe or other extension. For example, the Shell.dll file provides the
Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) drag-and-drop routines that Windows and other
programs use. The Kernel.exe, User.exe, and Gdi.exe files are examples of DLLs
with .exe extensions. They provide code, data, or routines to programs running
in the Windows operating system. For example, one of these files provides the
"CreateWindow" function that programs use when a new window is created on the
screen. In Windows, an installable driver is also a DLL. A program can open,
enable, query, disable, and close the driver based on instructions written in
the DLL file.
DLLs can be found in the Windows directory, the Windows\System directory, or
a program's directory.
If you start a program and one of its DLL files is missing or damaged, you
may receive an error message such as "Cannot find xyz.dll." If you start a
program that has an outdated DLL file or mismatched DLL files, the error message
"Call to undefined dynalink" might appear. If this happens, you must get a copy
of the DLL file and put it in the proper directory before the program will run
correctly.
To determine the origin of a DLL
file

  Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or
  Folders.
  In the Named box, type the name of the file you want to find—, for
  example "shell32.dll" (without the quotation marks)#151;click Local Hard
  Drives or the drive letter you want to search in the Look In box,
  and then click Find Now.
  In the list that appears, right-click the file, click Properties,
  and then click the Version tab.
If the file is a Microsoft file, extract a new copy of the file. For
information about extracting Windows files, see see Knowledge Base article
number <A
href="http://www.microsoft.com/ContentRedirect.asp?prd=winme&id=129605&pver=4.9";>Q129605,
"How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files."
If the Company Name referenced on the Version tab is different than
Microsoft, contact the manufacturer for assistance.
This information is also available in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. If you
would like to view this information online, see Knowledge Base article number <A
href="http://www.microsoft.com/ContentRedirect.asp?prd=winme&id=87934&pver=4.9";>Q87934,
"Definition and Explanation of a .DLL File."
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV
  Ketayun