From: "Ira Tunik" <irat@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [RT] Options as an Indicator

> this early exercise, rollover, or closing of positions prior to Friday
started to happen several years ago when the SEC called the CBOE and
> other options floors as well as large traders to task for the extreme
volatility that occurred on option expiration Fridays. The public
> appeared to be outraged. Or so the SEC stated.  To avoid this the large
traders in options saw fit to close their positions early to avoid any
> punitive action by the SEC.  That is my understanding of the situation.
After that the big volatility and volume day turned out to be
> Wednesday.  At times it would end up being Tuesday and sometimes Thursday,
but most often Wednesday.  If there is a reason for it being
> Wednesday, I don't know what it is .
>
> Ralph Volpe wrote:
>
> > I had heard recently that option positions are being closed out earlier
> > than the Friday of expiration so as to smooth out trading on that final
> > day. I also heard that the Wednesday before is usually the biggest
> > close-out day to unwind positions. I haven't studied this, but if
> > yesterday's action was due to unwinding option positions, could that not
> > be a signal for tomorrow's action? My guess is that Friday will track
> > Wednesday and the severety one way or the othere would depend on how
> > many positions still need to be closed out.  What I'm basically asking
> > is, has anyone studied the relationship between Wednesday and Friday
> > prices when Friday was the close-out day?
> >
> > --
> > Ralph           =>        E-mail   =>  rjv@xxxxxxxxxx

Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE guide: "Securing Your Website for business" Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M.WTOC/m1FDAA/cosFAA/zMEolB/TM