Re: [RT] Oil!

>  You raise an interesting point. If we don't need to support the OPEC
> states, then perhaps we have contributed to the current situation by not
> practising what we preach.  We preach democracy and freedom, yet we
support
> these very repressive OPEC regimes which leads to social unrest and
> bitterness among their citizens.  Perhaps via our foreign policy, we have
> sown the seeds of unrest which have lead to our current problems?

Norman,

Well put.  WTC didn't materialize out of thin air.  Yes, punishment needs to
be handed out and a threat to us all has to be eliminated.  But it will
recur if the causes aren't examined, understood, and resolved.  And I
suspect that it's not just a matter of repressive regimes.  It's far more
complicated.  It has to do with value systems  and the fact that an American
juggernaut of American values is sweeping the globe.  On one hand people
want the technology that makes life better and on the other hand, they do
not always want the culture and values that come along with the technology.
And this dichotomy is exacerbated by the fact that the juggernaut is moving
at an increasing speed; people have a great deal of difficulty adjusting to
rapid change even if it's change that they want.

It's definitely a very difficult problem to deal with. Maybe even insoluble.

Regards,
Mike