From: Earl Adamy [mailto:eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 8:58 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] Derivatives

There is a strange thing about derivatives ... they work well until they
don't and they usually work quite well until there is major stress put on
the system. Not unlike LTCM, some of the 7 institutions are loaded with
derivatives to a point where there their balance sheets are not remotely
capable of handling an unhinging. We are already seeing stress cracks where
the cream level of some CDO's (Collateralized Debt Obligations) are becoming
near-junk because the underlying levels have deteriorated i.e. that is what
the American Express $600m+ write-off was all about. BA just took a big
write-off of their lease holdings because the residual resale values of the
vehicles underlying the holdings plummeted. There are stress cracks
occurring in the financial system, and while I am not predicting that one of
these institutions will be taken down by derivative risk, the reserving of a
paltry $2 million against $43 trillion of derivative in a less predictable
economy is absurd. If the COC did not have some concerns in this regard, the
report would not have appeared as written.

Earl