  To: <A
  href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
  title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 5:56
PM
  Subject: [RT]

  From another board i picked up this.
  If you are alergic to GATA drop it, but if you
  like detective stories, it's good reading.
  And Norman, this could be the straw we talked
  about.

  regards
  stig
  Arch Crawford
  sends this along. Not all his work or
  comments...Mark************I am forwarding this to all on my
  lists.Please take time to read if you have any interest at all.Forgive
  if it is not appropriate to you or if you get 2 copies.ACLe
  Metropole Members,More developments are going to come to light over
  the next few weeks that are most disturbing about the gold market.
  They are stunning!While the focus is on gold, the reality is that what
  the GATA camp is uncovering is frightening as it pertains to threats
  to the most basic principles ofwhat America stands for. Freedom
  and our democracy, as we know it, are at stake. For that reason, it is
  most important that mainstream America understand what is going on at the
  highest levels of our government regarding disinformation issues,
  violations of the U.S. Constitution and encroachment on U.S. politicians
  by the WORLD's bankers.The GATA campaign to alert Congress about the
  manipulation of the gold market is gaining steam. GATA and it
  supporters have made enormous progress the past couple of weeks. The tide
  is going our way.We must keep the pressure on so that the truth about
  what has happened to gold is allowed to surface.Chris Powell sent
  me the following. It willgive you some idea of just how effective our
  campaign is progressing. Please keep in mind, this isa response from
  just ONE of the MANY members of Congress that GATA supporters have
  impacted.BILL MURPHYCHAIRMANGOLD ANTI-TRUST ACTION
  COMMITTEE***turkey hunter (07/27/01; 20:27:22MT - usagold.com
  msg#: 58707)update from Senator Grassley office staff on gold
  classificationsI got another email from Sen. Grassley's office
  staff today. Looks like the US Mint is going to give him in written
  form an explanation on the change of definitions regarding classifications
  of gold. The following is the email sent to me
  today.Mr.................I have just received a call from the
  Liaison office for the U.S. Mint. She will be sending the Washington
  office in written form, an explanation for the change in definitions.
  I am sure that Senator Grassley will want to handle this explanation from
  Washington, so he will have a hands-on feeling for what has happened.
  Apparently, there had been MANY calls on this subject so it may be a
  little while to get a copy of that explanation in your hands.
  Thank you for calling this matter to the attention of Senator
  Grassley.***Subj: [GATA] Send this essay by James Turk to
  Congress: What is happening to America's gold?Date: 7/28/01 10:17:13
  AM Central Daylight TimeFrom: GATAComm@xxxxxxxTo:
  gata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx10:44a ET Saturday, July 28, 2001Dear
  Friend of GATA and Gold:In a new essay, James Turk of the Freemarket
  Gold and Money Report has documented how the U.S. TreasuryDepartment's
  Exchange Stabilization Fund is intervening in the gold market and how the
  Treasury Department isundertaking to conceal the intervention.
  Turk's essay -- What is Happening to America's Gold? -- appears
  below. GATA asks its supporters in the United States to makea
  printed copy of this essay and send it to their U.S.senators and U.S.
  representative with a covering letterasking their members of Congress to
  obtain a full andcandid response to the essay from the Federal
  Reserveand the Treasury Department.We have indications that our
  writing letters to Congressto request such information is having a big
  impact. Wejust can't let up. Thanks for your help.CHRIS POWELL,
  Secretary/TreasurerGold Anti-Trust Action Committee
  Inc.______________________________________What Is Happening to
  America's Gold? By James Turk Copyright 2001, The Freemarket Gold
  & Money Report Reprinted by permission This past December I
  wrote (Letter No. 276, The Smoking Gun) about my discovery of a
  discrepancy between two reports that tracked the status of the U.S.
  Gold Reserve. The Federal Reserve prepares both reports. The
  first report is the balance sheet of the Federal Reserve, and the item of
  note is an entry entitled Gold Stock. Because of its ownership of the Gold
  Certificates issued by the U.S. Treasury, the Federal Reserve has a
  claim to the total U.S. Gold Reserve, reportedly 261.6 million ounces.
  Therefore, this liability of the U.S. Treasury -- evidenced by its Gold
  Certificates to pay gold -- is an asset on the balance sheet of the
  Federal Reserve. The second report prepared by the Federal Reserve
  presents the U.S. Reserve Assets, which records all of the Treasury's
  international monetary assets. These include the Treasury's holdings of
  foreign currencies, SDR's issued by the International Monetary Fund, and
  gold. The item of note in this report is also the gold stock, which
  again is this same US Gold Reserve. Thus, it is clear that the gold
  held by the U.S. Treasury -- the U.S. Gold Reserve -- does double duty.
  First, it provides a reserve at the Federal Reserve. In other
  words, because the Gold Certificates are an asset of the Fed, this claim
  to the U.S. Gold Reserve imparts value to the liabilities of the Fed, of
  which the most important are the Federal Reserve Notes that we carry
  in our pocket as cash currency. But there is a second use as well
  because the U.S. Gold Reserve is also recorded as part of the
  international monetary assets of the U.S. Treasury, the total of which
  are a measure of this nation's financial strength relative to other
  countries. The important point is that last December I observed
  that the weight of gold in these two reports was different, and I
  explained why each weight should always be identical. Thus, the Gold
  Certificates owned by the Federal Reserve should always be equal to the
  U.S. Gold Reserves reported as part of the U.S. Reserve Assets. They
  are the one and the same hoard of gold, and there is a body of federal law
  saying so. Further, we have been repeatedly informed by various
  Treasury and Federal Reserve officials that the U.S. government does
  not intervene in the gold market, that it does not trade gold for its
  account or the account of others, and that the U.S. Gold Reserve remains
  in storage at Fort Knox and the other depositories. If their
  contention was true, then why are these two reports showing different
  weights for the same hoard of gold? The answer I pointed out last
  December is that the clandestine activities of the Exchange Stabilization
  Fund (ESF) belie the pronouncements of Treasury officials about that
  department's so-stated inactivity in the gold market. We know that the ESF
  is active in the gold market because the Federal Reserve says so in
  its report of the U.S. Reserve Assets. This reports states that
  this weight of the U.S. Gold Reserve is the Gold Stock, including Exchange
  Stabilization Fund. Thus, the difference in weights between these two
  reports is attributable solely to the gold activity of the ESF. As I
  stated last December, there is no other alternative. So at the time I
  discovered this discrepancy I wondered how the Treasury would
  eventually come to explain this difference. How would they address the
  ESF's activity in the gold market? How would they explain away their
  previous statements on record that neither the U.S. Treasury nor the
  ESF is trading gold? In the months that have passed the Treasury has
  continued to deny U.S. government activity in gold. But that is not
  all the Treasury has been doing. It has also been working hard to cover up
  its tracks. The U.S. Reserve Assets report now excludes all
  reference to the ESF, and previous reports already published have been
  changed. Not only were the figures adjusted, but all reference to the ESF
  has been eliminated. Reg Howe posted to his website
  (http://www.goldensextant.com/commentary18.html#anchor12493) an
  excellent article addressing this change, and says: The figures could not
  be changed without a change in description, proof that the earlier
  discrepancies were indeed on account of gold held by the ESF. Indeed.
  The Federal Reserve stopped mentioning the ESF in these reports in
  February. I guess the January 2001 report was already being prepared when
  my December article appeared, so it was too late to change that report.
  Thus the U.S. Treasury has enlisted the Federal Reserve as its partner
  in crime, as it is after all the Federal Reserve that prepares these
  reports. And what is that crime? Without any explanation to anyone
  (including Congress to my knowledge), the U.S. Treasury has taken steps
  that can be of no other purpose and have no other intent but to hide
  the truth. The ESF has been erased out of the U.S. Reserve Assets report
  as if it never previously existed. Thus, these new reports being
  prepared by the Federal Reserve (and up to now they had probably been
  prepared this same way, since the ESF was formed in 1934) ensure that the
  American public will no longer see this gold-related activity by the ESF.
  As I write this, I shake my head in disbelief. All I can think of
  are those old photographs showing sclerotic Soviet despots standing on the
  parapets of the Kremlin, which would somehow miraculously and
  inexplicably change over the years depending on who fell out of favor.
  Having had their erstwhile colleagues air-brushed out of those old
  photographs as well as Soviet history books, those despots who
  survived the purge acted as if the truth never existed. Are our
  Treasury officials no better than that with their apparent reckless
  disregard for the truth, air-brushing the ESF out of the Federal Reserve
  reports? Before you answer that question consider also another recent
  damning action by the Treasury. This past April I wrote (Letter No.
  283, Behind Closed Doors) about the Treasury's unexplained
  reclassification of that part of the U.S. Gold Reserve in the Treasury
  depository at West Point as Custodial Gold. Using minutes of the Federal
  Open Market Committee of the Federal Reserve -- actually, very
  revealing minutes referring to gold swaps that apparently were
  inadvertently not redacted before being made public -- and by other
  corroborating evidence, I suggested that the term Custodial Gold meant
  that this part of the U.S. Gold Reserve had been swapped with gold
  owned by the Bundesbank. My assertion provoked controversy but no
  denial from the Treasury. Alarmingly, not only was the Treasury silent
  to me, its critics, and others searching for the truth, the Treasury was
  apparently also silent to Congress. But recently, the Treasury has spoken.
  Last month all of the U.S. Gold Reserve was reclassified. None of
  the gold stored at West Point, Fort Knox, and the other depositories is
  called US Gold Reserve or even Custodial Gold. All of it is now
  labeled as Deep Storage Gold. This action raises a lot of serious
  questions. Does this change of label mean that this gold is no
  longer the U.S. Gold Reserve, and if so, why? But if it still is the
  U.S. Gold Reserve, then why did they change the label, and why don't they
  still call it the U.S. Gold Reserve? How can the Treasury act
  unilaterally without any prior public notification informing anyone
  that this gold asset would be reclassified? What is the Treasury trying to
  cover up by this latest action? While I was pondering these and
  other questions, more intriguing news has come to light. The Federal
  Reserve has released to Sen. Jim Bunning an internal memo to Alan
  Greenspan from Virgil Mattingly, general counsel of the Fed, whose quote
  of the gold swaps in the FOMC minutes was included in my April article.
  Mattingly now says that he has no clear recollection of what he
  actually said at the FOMC meeting that fateful day, but nevertheless he
  believes that his remarks were transcribed inaccurately or otherwise
  became garbled. Hmmm, transcribed inaccurately. So he didn't say gold
  swaps to provide an example of ESF authority? Well, let's see. What could
  he have said, and how were those words transcribed inaccurately? Would
  the correct transcription have been bold wasps? Or did Mattingly really
  say that day that ESF authority was demonstrated by cold swats?
  Actually, there is no need to guess what Mattingly really said.
  The Federal Reserve's website says: Beginning with the 1994 meetings, the
  FOMC Secretariat produced the transcripts shortly after each meeting
  from an audio recording of the proceedings. Therefore, there is no
  need to speculate what Mattingly really said. Let's go back and listen to
  the original tape of the meeting. And while we're at it, let the
  American public listen to the WHOLE TAPE, including all of the material
  and discussions about the ESF that were redacted from the transcript
  released to the public. These recent developments have stimulated
  in my mind a lot of questions. Why is the U.S. Gold Reserve no longer
  called that by the Treasury? Why did the Treasury force the Federal
  Reserve to change its reporting of the U.S. Reserve Assets to exclude the
  gold-trading activity of the ESF? And who is the mastermind behind
  what obviously is becoming a clear (and probably illegal) cover-up of the
  truth? These are only a few of the questions that I would like
  answered. But all of them pale in comparison to one big question:
  What is happening to America's gold? * * * A note on
  earmarked gold. I mention in the above article the recent essay
  written by Reg Howe, and provide a hyperlink to it. I strongly
  recommend that you read this essay because it is full of informative
  material, including details of the so-called earmarked gold being stored
  at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. This gold is owned by
  foreign governments and institutions such as the International Monetary
  Fund, but is stored at the New York Fed. It is specially earmarked in
  order to establish that this gold is not part of the U.S. Gold Reserve,
  some of which is also stored at the New York Fed. This weight of
  earmarked gold is one of the largest hoards in the world stored in any one
  place, but its size has been declining in recent years. There were
  13,387 tonnes of earmarked gold stored at the New York Fed in 1990,
  but this total has dropped to 9,235 tonnes as of April 2001, which is the
  most recent report, a decline of 4,152 tonnes, or 31 percent.
  There has been a pattern to this flow of gold out of the New York
  Fed, mainly reflecting bigger flows out when the gold price is rising.
  This pattern of activity may have been one of the factors that Fed
  Chairman Alan Greenspan was referring to when he testified before
  Congress that central banks stand ready to lease -- that is, lend --
  gold in increasing quantities should the price rise. However, that
  pattern has been changing. Since September 2000 at least 40 tonnes of gold
  have been removed from the New York Fed each month. Reg Howe notes
  that the central banks have not only increased their leasing and sales
  activities but also made them less obviously targeted to price increases.
  This observation is important. In my view, this change in the
  pattern of dishoarding from the New York Fed smacks of desperation. The
  shorts need physical bullion to keep the gold price from exploding.
  The shorts can't get this bullion from new production or other
  sources, so they have to pull it out of the New York Fed, regardless of
  whether the gold price is rising. More gold is coming out of the New York
  Fed each month than is being mined by South Africa, the world's
  largest producer. According to the Washington Agreement, central banks
  cannot dishoard more than 400 tonnes per year, nor increase their
  lending of gold. If so, then why is gold being pulled out of the New York
  Fed at a rate more than 480 tonnes per year? But the real picture is
  probably even worse. It is likely that the 150 tonnes being sold
  by the Bank of England this year is stored in the BoE's own vault in
  London, not the New York Fed. So when taking the 80 tonnes' difference
  calculated above and this 150 tonnes, we can conclude that 230 tonnes more
  gold is being dishoarded from the New York Fed than required for the
  central banks if they are indeed sticking to their Washington Agreement. I
  see only two interpretations to this analysis. The obvious
  conclusion is that the central banks are breaking the Washington Agreement
  and selling more than 400 tonnes per year and/or increasing their gold
  lending. The less obvious conclusion is that the central banks that
  signed the Washington Agreement are indeed sticking to it, but some
  non-signatory is lending and/or dishoarding gold. Though long-time
  readers of these letters know that I have a very low regard for central
  banks and their commitment to honor their agreements/promises, I think
  that they deserve the benefit of the doubt this time. My guess is that
  someone else is shipping this 40 tonnes of gold a month out of the New
  York Fed. If we assume that the signatories of the Washington
  Agreement are indeed honoring their commitment, and given the size of
  the weight of this gold being shipped monthly out of the New York Fed,
  there are only two possible parties that have this much gold -- the
  International Monetary Fund and the U.S. Treasury. So could the
  Treasury somehow be swapping more gold with the Bundesbank? Or is the IMF
  involved? I think it is the latter. Note all of the talk in this
  past weekend's G-8 meeting about debt relief for poor countries, but in
  contrast to years past, there's been no mention of selling the IMF's
  gold to raise the money to provide this relief. Maybe they are
  purposefully not mentioning the IMF's gold because they are already
  tapping into it. -END- To

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor