[RT] Off Topic: Backup/Restore using USB hard disk under W2000

My HP 8GB external tape drive is giving up the ghost and I'm seriously
considering an external USB hard drive. For around $200 I can buy a 2.5" USB
drive enclosure and 20 GB 2.5" drive with a footprint not much larger than a
tape cartridge: 3"W x 5.8" L x 1" D. Firewire (IEEE 1394) looks much faster
than USB but I need to backup 2 laptops, each with 10 GB drives, and the
older IBM 770 Thinkpad does not support Firewire.

>From what I can tell, Windows 2000 treats USB drives as just another
(non-bootable) disk. Since USB devices are not bootable, I'm wondering what
the best solution is for creating and restoring backup files, especially
operating system files, under Windows 2000? From what I could tell, Norton
Ghost which I own, must run under DOS to restore system files.

Earl