Re: [RT] C or C++ Compiler?

There is a free 32-bit C/C++ development system for Intel-based
PCs available from
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp

This might be a good way to start to see if you are really
into it.

If you really want to shell out money, then I recommend
Microsoft Visual Studio Version 6.0, you can usually
get it for fairly cheap on Ebay.  Then go and and buy
The "Programming Windows 9x" book by Charles Petzold.
(actually, the Petzold book assumes a knowledge of C,
but if you're a fast learner you could probably get by
with just Petzold, otherwise, you'll need a more introductory
book for learning C).

The Borland C/C++ compilers seem to be popular but I have never
used them.

A lot of folks will suggest that you go with Visual Basic
(which is a part of Visual Studio) but if you're starting
out from scratch it probably doesn't matter much whether
you learn C or Basic.  Note that C is a subset of C++, and
the "object-oriented" concepts involved with C++ tend to make
that a more difficulat language to learn.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest you try and find
a class in your local area that you can attend.

Good luck,
Jeff