RE: [RT] Re: Investment Bank's "Trading" profits

IB also owns Timber Hill which is one of the biggest trading firms on earth.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scot Billington [mailto:scot.billington@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 10:56 AM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RT] Re: Investment Bank's "Trading" profits

I believe that those 'Trading and Investment' profits include profits from
the bid/ask spread in the markets in which an IB makes the market.  They
also include mark ups on bonds and equities that are much closer to
commissions than pure directional trading profits.

ie.  You purchase an OTC stock for 50 that their trader bought from the
street when your order was received for 49.89.  That .11 is counted as a
trading profit, when it is really a commission.  An insurance co. wants some
certain bonds which the IB "trader" buys on the street for 99 30/32 and
sells to the co. for 100.  Those 2/32's are considered trading profits.
They make a market in XYZ stock buying and selling 1000's of shares all day.
There is a .05 b/a spread which they make on each rt.

Not that these things don't take talent or can not result in losses;
however, they are a far cry from my buying a Live Cattle future or 1000
shares of GM.  In fact my trading edge must overcome the "trading Profits"
that the IB or floor broker makes.

I would not assume that b/c an IB shows large trading profits that it is
making a lot of profitable trades in the sense that most speculators would
define a trade.

sb