Re: [RT] Mentors:What makes a good Mentor

> There is one important characteristic about learning for most learners:  We
> tend to take most seriously that which costs us the most.

That's how the con men get a way with charging so much. "Gee, if he's
charging that much, he must be really good." It's a common human
reaction, and the scammers count on it, but it's the WRONG reaction in
this fraud-filled business.

I guess I'm an exception. I look at the information/cost ratio and, if
the information presented isn't of sufficient quality and/or quantity to
justify the cost, I quickly come to the conclusion that the person
charging that amount is a fraud and lose interest in anything he has to
say. Some may call that cynical. I call it a healthy skepticism in a
business where 90% of what you hear is wrong and 90% of what you pay for
is worthless.

It's kinda like the gold rush. A few people struck it rich but most
didn't make enough to cover expenses. On average, the group who made the
most were the people selling shovels and whiskey. The thing is, if you
are determined to be the exception who finds gold, would you rather get
advice from a successful miner, who is working his own claim right now,
or from a salesman offering $1000 shovels?

--
  Dennis