  To: <A title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 11:37
  AM
  Subject: Re: [RT] silly question
  What a nice story. You are a great story teller and should
  write more. I will be watching for your stories. RachelAt 09:26 PM 2/26/01
  -0800, you wrote:
  OK,Ok, I have a
    somewhat unusual dog story too.  On October 5th, 2000 our desert
    community had one of those extremely rare thunder and lightning storms pass
    over the valley.  No rain fell as usual as our rainfall is in fractions
    of an inch a year with nearly perpetual sunshine.  The next morning we
    found a stray adult German Shepard mix hiding in a two foot space between a
    metal storage shed and chainlink fence in the back of the 2 acre
    property.  Now we live 2 miles outside of town and the nearest
    neighbors are beyond stone throwing distance but within gunshot range.
    The fenced property is borderd by alfalfa fields on two sides, a drain ditch
    on the east side and an irrigation canal on the north side.  During the
    night of the storm the stray dog must have run into the yard for shelter as
    the thunder was trememdous and the lightning created daylight at
    midnight.  When we found him the following morning he was frozen in
    shock with an apparant case of amnesia, did not know what he was, where he
    was, and showed no desire to move.  Neither did he growl, bark, or
    threaten us in anyway.  He was totally expressionless and stood with
    his head somewhat hanging down, looking at my sister and I with his dazed
    amber eyes. She thought he looked wolf like.  His fur was a dull black
    except for some grey jaws, white on his chest and brown on his legs.
    We were afraid to approach this strange dog because he was huge and knew
    nothing about his past.  First plan was to put him outside the fence in
    which the storm had trapped him.  We closed the gates in hopes he would
    move on back to where he came from.  Instead he wandered over to the
    ten foot deep drain ditch that the agricultural fields drain into.
    Over the next few days he made shelter in the weeds and grass down near the
    water table.  During the day I watched him through binoculars from my
    trading room window which looks through 4 desert fan palms towards the
    Arizona mountains.  At sunrise he would climb out of the ditch to eat
    grass, sunbath and then when it got too hot go back into his shelter where
    it was a bit shadier and cooler.  Then in the evening he would climb
    out again to watch the sunset and eat more grass.  He spent a bit of
    time just standing and staring in different directions or in grooming
    himself.  He appeared to be quite independant and without an agenda to
    go anywhere.  Three times a day I walk my sister's dog along the canal
    bank a few hundred feet from the mystery dog.  He watched us but made
    no motion towards us.  Now my curiosity was picking up.  What is
    with this animal.  I admired his "at peace" with the world.  I had
    to approach him to find out more and took peace offerings.  If I
    approached his shelter he would creep quietly along the bottom of the drain
    ditch to avoid me.  Initially I tossed food down to him and later left
    it in the arrow weeds at the entrance to his selfmade home.  A few days
    later he began climbing up to meet me and would lick my arms.  After a
    few more days he began coming closer to the house and circled the fence
    stopping at each gate and nudging it, and checking each latch for
    accessability.  We continued to restrict him from the yard because of
    two cats and a dog that already live here.  He was beginning to
    cautiously take food from our hands and run off to eat it.  He was also
    spending his daylight hours circling the yard and if he saw me step outside
    the door he began galloping around the perimeter of the yard looking for
    access.  This is a big majestic animal, had no evidence of having had a
    collar or being brushed.  He seemed to respect the territorial rights
    of our dog until we let him in the yard, but has a big grudge against
    cats.  Now I am beginning to think about who he belonged to and figured
    the owner must be missing him.  I also began worrying about his
    safety.  The Basque were bringing sheep in for overwintering and along
    with the sheep they bring Pyrinese sheep dogs.  They too are large, and
    powerful and can handle any local dog that strays into their
    herd.  So now the mystery dog is living in the yard but is confined to
    the length of a 20 foot rope near my van.  Not wanting to deplete the
    other dog's food supply it was time for a trip to Albertson's.  So in
    the van the mystery dog goes and he makes himself right at home by jumping
    up on the back seat and looks out the window.  Upon returning from the
    store he would not exit the van.  No way was he getting out.  Fine
    with me for the time being and he did not like the windbreak I made for him
    anyway.  After a month of living in the van and making every trip to
    the store with me he had found a home.  No one answered the lost and
    found ads.  On one trip home from shopping a package of hotdogs slipped
    under the fence between the front seats and his space.  Now he expects
    the same each trip but doesn't get it of course.  On to month
    two/three.  He must have resigned himself to the fact that the van
    isn't going to take him home wherever that was.  So when on a leash he
    began pulling towards the house where the food is kept, naturally.  I
    let him explore the house, always on a short leash.  When we approached
    a closed door he would rattle the door knob with his long black nose.
    First time in the computer room where there is a spare bed he walked back
    and jumped up on it and declared that he wasn't going to live in a van any
    longer. The first few weeks of sleeping indoors he appeared to be dreaming
    as his legs would move and he would make vocal sounds.   When this
    guy decides not to move, he doesn't move.  He has this Chi energy that
    freezes his 90 pounds on the spot.  As you might surmise, he and I
    became buddies.  He never lets me out of his sight, like an attached
    shadow.  I never go anywhere whithout him.  If he needs to relieve
    himself when I am at the keyboard he comes over and puts his nose under my
    left arm and pushes upward a few times to get attention.  Or he will go
    to the door and rattle the door knob.  Besides eating almost more than
    I do, he had to make a trip to the vet for tape worms and shots.  That
    was $75 of love money.  That's more than I personally have had to spend
    in years for my own medical needs.  He doesn't seem to know what balls
    or frizbees are for or even what playing means.  He is a great watch
    dog with a vicous growl.  The bigger expense was yet to come.
    Late one trading day prior to the close I had bought a $12 put option.
    The next morning there was a dive in the mkt and the put moved to $17.
    I was getting ready to exit thinking the high or low occurs within the first
    30 to 60 minutes of the day.  Merlin was distracting me.  My
    sister named him Merlin because of the way he magically appeared that
    October 5th night.  The smoke alarm battery was low and beeping. UPS
    drove up.  My 87 year old mom was concerned about something.  I
    turned to attend to Merlin who was getting anxious to head to his dumping
    ground and figured I have a few minutes to attend to his neads.  As you
    might expect he now cost me an additional $600 in lost opportunity as the
    mkt reversed while we were outside.  Of course that is unfair and he
    wasn't responsible, nor were any of the other distractions that occured
    within a few minutes of that failure to give the trade the attention it
    requires.  That's how it goes sometimes, a vortex of events occur that
    shape destiny. BobR  ----- Original
    Message -----