Re: [RT] the new Economy

You have to think that after 14 consecutive quarters of beating consensus
Cisco would have pulled out all the accounting stops to repeat the pattern
this quarter.  If they did, they still missed by a penny.  What does that
say?  Bigcharts.com has their P/E at 83.  Man that's high.  But 18 cents was
50% growth over last year's 12 cents.  Not bad.  Just depends on how much
fluff is in the stuff.

Re: Inflation.  Someone recently pointed out that energy prices (petro and
electrical) have been exceedingly high for quite some time now and they
haven't filtered into some of the more mundane items of the economy outside
of the companies that are directly affected (transport, etc.).  This would
tend to indicate that there is still a good bit of deflation in the economy.
I don't deny that real estate has been sky high, but that could be explained
by the fact that so many people had more and they felt good so they were
willing to pay more.  Sure, the 8000 Boeing programmers whose average salary
was $50,000 went on strike for higher wages last year and by all accounts
got it, but a little fear in the economy and the recent layoff announcements
will put a stop to that.  Seems like inflation/deflation are fairly well
balanced right now.

The only thing that really, really concerns me is the massive amounts of
corporate and personal debt washing around.  If people started worrying
about that and quit spending, then we're screwed for a good while.
Greenspan and W had better keep cutting fast and hard a make sure this
economy sees a short V bottom or we could be looking at a long, long
recession.

Kent