[RT] Re: DTN Adv/Dec Stats

  • To: "William Wood" <wrwood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [RT] Re: DTN Adv/Dec Stats
  • From: "BobR" <bobrabcd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:45:35 -0800

Well, I am a bit discouraged on this issue.  I got a little note in the mail
today saying they now had the individual breadth symbols that we all know
about from last week.  We also know that Chameleon and Ensign see these
symbols and data, but the TS2ki Global Server will not see the data because
of the way DTN has the symbol string formatted.  I called one of their tech
supports last week about the fact that the GS could not see the data and
why.  The tech took a note.  Then today I called the guy who sent me the
symbol list.  He wasn't in so I talked to another knowledgeable and friendly
tech guy.  He understands what I am after and he knows that the data isn't
formatted for Omega.  He said something about, well, the data wasn't mean't
to be formatted in the Last field.  So, I told him that DTN has lots of
other calculated indexes such as P/C, Trin, Tick, etc that Omega can display
so why not these new symbols.  After all, Chameleon and Ensign don't need
these new symbols and their creation at the Omega users request anyway.  He
agreed with my logic but still wasn't encouraging and said its a software
issue(pointing fingers at Omega).  So, I said look, there is no good reason
why your ticker plant guy can't accomodate the omega users.  I have 4 months
left on my DTN subscription and I and some other TradeStation users are
seriously considering switching to an alternative feed if DTN is
accomodating in this matter.  So, take this down and pass it up to your
superiors.  In the meantime I am going to write a complaint on each monthly
statement that DTN is not accomodating to subscribers.  Additionally, when
TASC does their annual review I will make note of this in the voting.  On
each monthly statement I am checking the "poor" box for type of service.

So, bottomline, I don't know if they will help us out.  I have also written
to Melody at Omega, as I have her email and phone number for the open
interest problem.  She hasn't responded on the breadth symbols.  Well, I've
got 4 months to make up my mind.  I can live with using MetaServer to get my
breadth data, but it really is not a clean way to go.  DTN needs to be
responsive, and the only way is if current subscribers keep hounding them
and if potential users call and say, "hey I won't subscribe unless you have
the data in readable form."  They can do it, and they know how to do it,
beats me why they don't do it.  They have done half the job by creating the
symbols.  I've seen all the symbol formats in the back of the Chameleon
manual and I've seen the data flow from Chameleon to MetaServer using a
DDEspy.  I know all they have to do is change the symbol format for those
new symbols and send an appropriate Process code.  God, it could be done in
minutes.

BobR