From: Conrad Bowers [mailto:cpbow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2001 3:51 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] VIRUS "W95.Hybris.gen"

I received today (but not necessarily from this list) a copy of this email
from hahaha that had a joke.exe attachment.  I saw this in the preview
screen of Outlook.  I did not open joke.exe (except see question below).

1.  I'm wondering why McAfee did not give any warning.  Would it only do it
if the attachment was opened?  I have system scan off but download and
internet scans on.  I updated Mcafee about 10 days     ago, at least the
.dat files.

    a. Is it bad that I disabled system scan?  I chose to do this bec. I
rarely install files from a disk and assumed the download/internet scan
would snag any incoming files arriving that way.  I figured the
background work of system scan on known, good exe files would be wasteful.
I do run system scan approx. weekly.

    b. Without thinking it through long enough, I did click alt-enter,
message source, details on the offending email to see if I could tell where
it actually came from.   Q.  Does this open the attachment??

    c. I did a system scan with Mcaffee and no problems were reported.  I
also checked the dates on winsock32.dll and winini.dll and they are old
dates, so I assume the virus is not at work.  Do you agree?

Conrad Bowers