Re: [RT] AOL: another perspective

Whatever AOL has become.. whatever it is with the addition of Warner .. It
isn't an ISP.  I'm not sure it ever was an ISP.  An Internet Service
Provider takes you straight away to the internet gateway.  AOL takes you
directly to their servers and getting loose from them.. getting out from
under them and on to the internet is a chore most of their customers never
accomplish.   Most people just sit on AOL servers and marvel at the sites
they have determined you should see and think they're on the internet.  So,
AOL can truthfully say that they provide much more in terms of service than
a dial up connection to the internet gateway.. they provide many, many,
servers for you to be held captive on while they find ways to poke ads at
you and keep you from the real internet which is free of AOL rules and ads.
 And since they can say this, they can charge more.   And get away with it?
 You bet!  AOL customers love the little cage they put you in and cause you
to think you're on the internet.  It's easy to use!   It's click and view
to the most simple, core, element.  and.. whatever that is.. whatever AOL
is, it isn't the internet and AOL isn't an ISP.

Bob