Re: AW: [RT] Re: Trading Events

You all have evolved the concept of a pure volatility play into a much more
complicated and expensive position than necessary.  Any vol. play is a form of a
backspread.  Backspreads would be long future/stock and long put,  long put and call
combination, short straddle long two combos....(probably the cheapest backspread).
Delta adjusting a backspread no longer makes it a pure directional play, but rather a
vol. play.  Buy 1000 shares and buy 10 50 delta puts is just an expense way to buy 10
50 delta calls unless you are going to adjust along the way.  If you are going to
adjust then the backspread is a vol. play and not a directional play.

Consider selling a straddle and buying two OTM combos instead.  The general tone of an
experienced pro is not to focus on what I make if it works, but rather to focus on
what I lose if it doesn't work.  Events don't occur frequently ..... by definition.
So the challenge becomes how not to bleed to death waiting for the event.  If you look
at event you could retire from...... backspreads will almost always make you the most
money for dollar at risk.  You want trades with very High Gamma and little or no Theta
and you are all creating very expensive variations that could bleed you to death
waiting.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/152424/_/976550592/