Re: [RT] Software - Pattern Smasher

Dear Mr. Kasanjian,

I am thrilled to hear of your devotion to customer commitment. I look
forward to receiving my refund.

Having used Elliott and Fibonacci relationships as a significant part of my
analysis and decision making for identifying trades for years I was quite
excited to find a software program (Nature's Pulse) a few years ago that
purported to be just the ticket for serious, fib based time analysis. I
spent a good deal of time discussing the program with Eddie Kwong, as well
with references provided by Kasanjian Research, prior to my purchase. My
primary concern before committing to purchasing the program was that it was
dos based. Mr. Kwong assured me that KR was well on its way to delivering
the new Windows based version that would soon be made available for a
reasonable upgrade fee to current Nature's Pulse users.

I bought the program and while it was "clunky", I figured the new Windows
based program would be a much more user friendly and smoother program to
operate. The user's manual that accompanies Nature's Pulse goes into fairly
significant detail about the significance of the Fibonacci series of numbers
throughout nature as a means of illustrating its relevance and existence in
markets. There was also included in the user's manual a reprint of an
article published by TASC co-authored by you and a fellow named Brad
Swancoat extolling the use of dynamic cycles to forecast market turns, again
highlighting the importance and specific usefulness of the Fibonacci
numerical sequence and ratio derivatives. I also began receiving the "Pulse
Rate" newsletter delivered to Nature's Pulse users that was published once a
month whose primary theme was to highlight time targets for market turns
based on ratio analysis heavily dosed with the Fibonacci ratio series.

I believe it was in the April, 1998 issue of "Pulse Rate" that Pattern
Smasher was first touted, by Eddie Kwong in rather dramatic words, as "The
Holy Grail". At this point that it seems that all plans for any Windows
version/upgrade to the Nature's Pulse program had been scrapped. However,
there was never an explicit statement or explanation made until much later
that Nature's Pulse would simply no longer be supported, and certainly not,
until now, your rather eye-opening claim that your research shows no
validity to the approach so heavily emphasized and touted in the sales and
support literature for the Nature's Pulse program, specifically the efficacy
of using the Fibonnaci number and ratio series to determine potential market
turns.

The above begs many questions. Without arguing the merits for/against using
Fibonacci number based time analysis, how could one possibly leap to the
conclusion that something as subjective as pattern analysis could be the
"Holy Grail". You say you can find the fib relationships all over the
charts? Well, yes, but you can't say there aren't that the same patterns
exist all over the charts either. Analysts can not even agree when a
head-and-shoulders pattern exists. And you say you can measure this in some
sort of quantitative fashion? But, after the time and expense (not to
mention the money made) selling Nature's Pulse, NOW you have discovered that
though it is based on something you have acknowledged is found throughout
nature, it is not valid as an analysis technique applicable in the markets?
That's quite an epiphany! How about showing your research on both
techniques?

There is no doubt in my mind that there are repeating patterns in the
markets. I use pattern recognition constantly in my trading. There may well
be a means by which to code software to help identify recurring market
patterns. But there are too many questions surrounding the handling of
Nature's Pulse and the abrupt segue into the latest and greatest from
Kasanjian Research to have any faith that Pattern Smasher isn't just a
product produced by another in a long line of companies that exists just to
be peddling a product.

Regards,

Tom Alexander

Alexander Trading & Management