[RT] Best Tax-Advantaged Way for an Individual Trader

Brian:

Using a separate entity may provide some additional advantages.  For those
individuals who have too much "other income", they may not qualify to file
under "trader status".  Having a separate entity (e.g. a S-corp) would be one
way to separate the types of income between the entity and the individual.
Another benefit is certain expenses can be paid from the entity as business
expenses which otherwise would not be deductible on the tax returns of the
individual.

Earl is right about pension plans requiring earned-income (being subject to
social security tax) for calculation of funding and deductions.  However, the
benefits of tax-deferred compounding and accumulation of trading profits
inside the pension plan may outweigh the initial SS tax.

Costs vs benefits depend on your own situation.

Bill W...