[RT] Re: Dilemma

     Marlowe,

     Your analysis may well prove correct, and such is, I suspect,
    the hoped for outcome by most all of us.  On the other hand,
    the fact that FEMA plans on calling up 800 government crisis
    team members, all fifty states will activate their Emergency
    Communications Centers, leaves are, on the whole, cancelled for
    the military, Amtrack will not be running trains over the
    New Years weekend, many critical public institutions will have
    full staffing on New Year's Eve, et cetera, gives one pause to
    consider the possibilities.
      Let us, for argument sake, agree the above are only trappings
    to appease the public; they assure us that there really is no
    cause for alarm.  Let us agree that big instutions will endure.
      As an aside, a relative has run a small auto parts chain in
    Southern California for many years.  Five years ago, he spent
    upwards of fifty grand on an inventory control system.  This
    past spring, he discovered the system won't be Y2K compliant,
    it will not work past the year.  The vendor wanted to sell him
    a new system, one that would be compliant.  So there was a
    choice; either spend another big chunk of change to boldly keep
    going head to head with the Pep Boys, or buy a fifth-wheeler
    and cruise the country after all the stores are shuttered.
      And so, his former employees will be out of a job come 2000.
    How many small to medium size business owners found themselves
    in the same situation and, either by choice or default, shall
    soon be closing?
      This "non-event" has great potential for economic harm for the
    world as time accrues, even though the immediate effect will be
    devastating for those loyal employees soon to be without work.
    If societal services maintain their function into next year,
    then we will have an opportunity to evaluate the damage to be
    inflicted on a macro level, as all those unemployed stress the
    system.  The evidence should become overwhelming by spring,
    unless the extrapolation is fundamentally flawed.

     Merry Christmas, everyone.

       Rory Lewellen