[RT] Re: VRTL

"Dr. John Cappello" wrote:

> Dear Gwen,
>
> You are right in many respects.The amount of posted material on stock
> related sites is low hence a following is taking time to develop.They really
> do not fit what I am looking for but it was a place to start.
>
> John

Given the thread, a nice start indeed... I looked at VRTL again, I presume there
is the Cisco phantasy in there... (see below)

Gwenn

WOODLAND HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 9, 1999--

     Breakthrough CORBA Solution Provides "Off-the Shelf"
Communications Management For Next Generation Optical Devices

    Vertel, a leading global provider of carrier-grade network
management solutions announced that Tellium, a leading manufacturer of
next generation optical networking systems, has selected Vertel's new
e*ORB object management platform to be a key building block for their
latest line of high capacity optical switches.
    In an agreement finalized this week, Tellium will embed e*ORB
into their Aurora 512 line of optical switches to manage
communications among the device's internal systems and processors.
Tellium's corporate investors include Cisco Systems, SAIC, Telcordia
and Ortel -- Leaders in the telecom industry.
    "The distributed command and control structure included in our
product demands a highly modular, scalable and robust real-time
communication mechanism," says Tellium's lead software architect, Tom
Damiano. "The power and elegance of a state of the art CORBA
architecture led us to select e*ORB as a cornerstone of our command
architecture. The e*ORB request broker allows us to reduce our
development time and guarantee high quality across all our development
and target environments."
    A leader in next generation network technology, Tellium's most
recent offering, the Aurora 512 Super Switch, is the highest capacity
optical cross-connect device of its kind, handling optical signal
speeds up to OC-48 with a total switching capacity of up to 1.28
terabits per second. Tellium's products are engineered to manage the
high bandwidth required to carry increasingly high-volumes of data
traffic over today's optical networks.
    Implementing Vertel's e*ORB as the primary management platform
for the Aurora 512 switch will enable Tellium to maintain its
competitive edge and further deliver on its customer promise of
faster, lower cost bandwidth by reducing development time and overhead
while strengthening the reliability, flexibility and scalability of
the product. Tellium's implementation demonstrates how e*ORB can be
embedded into the various processors within a network device to
streamline internal communications and enhance standard management
processes, making e*ORB a readily available, "off-the-shelf"
alternative to developing proprietary solutions.
    "Customers like Tellium who are developing leading edge
technologies for convergent networks have told us they need low-cost,
ready-to-use solutions for managing network devices in order to speed
time to market and contain costs," said Bruce Brown, president and CEO
of Vertel Corporation. "e*ORB meets these requirements and we are
pleased with the response we have received."
    Initial deployment of e*ORB in Tellium's Aurora 512 Super Switch
will include the LynxOS real-time operating system from Lynx Real-Time
Systems, Inc. "In working on this advanced, carrier-grade customer
application, we found that the Lynx real-time operating system
accentuated e*ORB's unique performance enhancements, such as `on
demand' loading of modules, `pluggable protocols,' and flexible C++
support," said Ann Marie O'Connor, Product Manager for Vertel's CORBA
products. "The LynxOS `Reliable Processing Environment,' POSIX process
model and its `built-in' dynamic loading facilities enabled us to
satisfy the challenging demands of this telecommunications
application."
    e*ORB is the first commercially available Object Request Broker
(ORB) optimized specifically for the telecommunications industry.
Unique among existing ORB platforms, e*ORB is compliant with the
MinimumCORBA specification, and can be extended to incorporate CORBA
features as required by the telecom market. This scalability allows
e*ORB to be embedded into a wide variety of network devices ranging
from high-capacity optical switches and terabit routers to high-end
handheld devices and set-top boxes. Editors note: For a complete
listing of e*ORB features and capabilities, please visit Vertel's Web
site at www.vertel.com.

    About Vertel Corporation

    Vertel is a leading global provider of carrier-grade, broadband
Internet software infrastructure and management solutions. Vertel
offers a wide range of technologies and applications, supporting
end-to-end network and service management with the highest quality of
service for network operations. Vertel's solutions are deployed
worldwide by service providers, network operators, software vendors,
and systems integrators. Vertel also delivers turnkey management
applications that fit individual customer requirements through its
Professional Services Unit. The company is based in Woodland Hills,
California and has sales offices throughout the world. Contact Vertel
on the World Wide Web at http://www.vertel.com.

    About Tellium

    Tellium designs, and manufactures networking products that create
intelligent optical networks. These products are utilized by large
communications companies because today's public networks are
struggling to support the explosion of bandwidth requirements for data
services. Tellium products create a scalable optical network enabling
reliable, fast, low cost delivery of data services. Tellium's Aurora
32 Optical Switch was the first-to-market in the telecommunications
industry. Aurora 32 with the larger Aurora 512, StarNet Restoration
Software and the Gemini Element Management System are the cornerstone
network elements of scalable, flexible optical networks. More
information about Tellium can be found at http://www.tellium.com.