[RT] Re: Where are... {02}

Hello  Scot,

SB> ...Gann and Gilmore's enormous fortunes.  Gann, who allegedly made $50
SB> million in the 20s-30s trading futures, would have a fortune of $1.6 billion
SB> if it earned 6% from then until now.  Where is all this money?  Gilmore has
SB> been around selling books, seminars, and programs for over 10 years.  He has
SB> obviously sold tons of them as it has kept him alive.  Out of all of those
SB> students, why are none of them big time money managers today?  I am looking
SB> for one disciple.  Before anyone starts in on the regular retorts, which I
SB> ADMIT have SOME merit, do not forget that 15 years ago Dennis and Eckhardt
SB> taught their methods to 24 people and 4 of them are among the largest CTAs
SB> in the world today.  Both the teachers are too.  How many gazillions of
SB> people have read Gann books and Gilmore's stuff?  Are any of them successful
SB> CTAs?  Out of all the authors and experts on Gann, why are none of them
SB> money managers?  Why do they continue to sell books?  I could see selling
SB> some to finance a trading nest egg, but the authors and names are the same.
SB> A lot of them do well in letter writing contests and some even win little
SB> trading tournaments.  I don't doubt that there will be multiple replies to
SB> this talking about the author's 600% return in two weeks after drawing a
SB> Gann angle (which by the way crosses different points depending on the size
SB> of your graph paper and how much you assign to each box.).  None of those
SB> repliers will have been successful over 10 years.  None will have an NFA
SB> audited track record.  They will be plenty mad and plenty sure of
SB> themselves.

SB> There are certainly an infinite number of ways to make money in the markets.
SB> I am open to the possibility that ANY type of method could produce an edge.
SB> I'll test anything.  Some of you should perhaps open your mind to the
SB> possibility that Gann/Gilmore/Elliott Wave/Time and price etc. do not create
SB> an edge and merely produce random trades.  Many of your successful examples
SB> are the ultimate form of curve fitting.

SB> sb

HEY GOOD POST! I just didn't have the nerves to get involved with this
argument  too.  It was so obvious that their are some real looney's on
the  list.  I  figured if I jumped in on this Gann crap I would surely
get kicked off the list.

--
Best regards,
  Mark Brown                        mailto:markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx