[RT] Re: RT] Is trading system necessary for a successful trading? {02}

Hello  Ned,

Wednesday, December 08, 1999, 8:24:33 AM, you wrote:

NG> Dear RT:
NG> I enjoyed reading some of your insightful posts about trading systems.  I
NG> though, maybe it would be worthwhile to discuss whether a system ( either
NG> mechanical or discretionary) is necessary for a successful trading.

(*)Indicates data be collected

First off I do not belive that any discretionary trader is such a fool
that  he  doesn't trade using a somewhat reoccurring mechanical influx
of  technical  and  or  fundamental  data.  Are  we  to  belive that a
discretionary  trader  is  some  mystical  wizard who set glaring at a
monitor  waiting  for  the next impulse of psychic brilliance to point
him  to a profitable trade? Da! no (*) he reads the paper (*) he talks
to  other  trades  (*) he looks at yesterdays charts (*) he checks the
daily  reports  that  are  coming  out  (*) he then thinks of possible
scenarios  (*)  he  then may check a few fax services to see what they
say  (*)  he then monitors the price action to make decisions based of
WHAT! THE FRIGGIN DATA HE JUST GATHERED!

You  people  saying  that a discretionary trader can not be programmed
are  talking  about  something  that  is as weird to me as. Well those
Wright  Brothers may be able to fly but I'll be darn if they will ever
be  able  to  invent  an auto pilot. The mechanicalizing of apparently
discretionary  trading  is  nothing  more  than  the  next step in the
evolution  of  trading. Some evolve and some DO NOT! Those that do not
evolve  die  out  -  becoming  extinct,  as they should and take their
antiquated ideas with them to the tar pits.

Why is there NO MORE Charlie D's? WHY? because times change!

Now  to  answer  your question whether a system ( either mechanical or
discretionary) is necessary for a successful trading.

NO  Because  Modern  Man, Neanderthal Man can both drink from the same
water (trading the markets) hole.

NG>  Do we need to have a system as a decision support in our decision
NG> making process for trading?

Like  I  briefly  mentioned  EVERYONE uses a system to varying degrees
just some do not comprehend it fully or even at all.

NG> If yes, do we follow our own self-made
NG> system  or a carefully selected one? If not, then what are some of
NG> the  individual  characteristics  ( such as experience, commitment
NG> and  discipline)  and/or contextual factors such as time pressure,
NG> outcome  feedback,  and  incentive schemes) that may influence our
NG> reliance to a trading system? And how these aforementioned factors
NG> may reduce ( or increase) our trading performance and accuracy?

I  will  have to do another whole long email latter to address all the
above. latter!

--
Best regards,
  Mark Brown                        mailto:markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx