Re: Point and Figure??

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Point and Figure??
  • From: swp <swp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:15:10 -0500 (EST)

Steve - I was not suggesting that p&f techniques would not work, because
I believe they would. I was giving some of the pitfalls. I think p&f is
very hard for a beginner to grasp. One advantage of it, which I
neglected to mention, is that not many people use it these days.

The biggest problem is that I know of no system that really does a good
job building them long term. Apparently Ensign DOS has p&f, but unless
it builds the l-t charts from tick data, it cannot do it correctly 100%
of the time no matter what the box/reversal size (unless they are large
enough to encompass the largest intraday reversal ever). Many other
programs just guess the order prices occurred based on open, high, low
and close.

I was telling Mark that it depended on his demeanor and time frame and
whether or not he felt comfortable not having time (volume, open
interest) as well as price as part of his decision making process
(assuming he was using purely p&f). As for stocks versus commodities, I
do very little in the stock market anyway (outside of s&p futures),
though that is where many p&f techniques grew up.

him out too...

Steve Poser