Re: Economics

Tax increases always reduce economic activity by decreasing the profitability
of an activity. Marginal activity will be reduced.  That does not mean that
other factors can not  overwhelm the negative effects of taxes.  A tax to
build roads would reduce economic activity.  But the new transportation
possibilities create new profitable activities.  The careful control of the
money supply since Volker and followed by Green span has systematically
reduced interest rates by reducing inflation premiums and the distortions
created by inflation.  Declining interest rates reduce the profitability
threshold for many ventures, increasing economic activity.
Stuart