Re: Economics & oil

I think the price of just about everything is lower than in the 1970s when
adjusted for inflation.

But I did recall seeing some interesting data last year on crude oil.

It is true that the price of crude oil has been (and is) in serious
decline. YET, refining capacity remains relatively steady and was under
serious pressure until, of course, the recent Asian meltdown.

After all, a barrel of crude is a wonderful thing to have (!) but if you
can't "crack" it into its useful components (heating oil and gasoline), you
won't be able to use it. Few significant refineries are on the drawing
boards. (Do you want one in your backyard?) So if the Asian economies can
get moving again, there may be some upward pressure on component prices
even as crude prices drift lower or remain steady.