Re: Looking For Other Cocoa Traders!

This is my first posting. I have a lot to learn.

One of the first things I was taught about such groups was
-- lurk, observe, note the mores before you post.

One who did so would note that while there are
disagreements, there is a general tone of helpfulness and
courtesy. I have seen no signs of potential flaming or
spamming. I have seen nobody complaining that it happened to
them. It may have happened to you in a different group --
that's no reason to come on assuming it will happen here.
The burnt cat avoids the hot stove -- it also avoids the
cold stove, because it cannot distinguish.

The problem with an attitude of "nobody would have a vaid
reason to object" is that you thereby cut out information.
If a dozen people tell you they object, you denigrate the
legitimacy of their objections. this can be as discourteous
as the first threat. I would suggest an alternative view --
if several people object to the tone of your initial post,
then *BY DEFINITION* there is something objectionable in
such tone. You may not have *intended* to be objectionable,
but that would be better served by "I apologize for the
objectionable tone -- I did not intend to offend" than by
"you jerks that I'm asking for advice have no business being
offended by my tone".

As a very practical trading consideration, you might
consider that if you *begin* with "nobody could legitimately
and realistically take this approach" you may never learn
that your criteria of legitimacy and realism have problems.

Jay S. Goldenberg
312-346-7899
attyjsg@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.chicplan.com