Re: Bond Prospects

CPI includes services as well as goods, though it may very well be over
weighted in goods. CPI is barely registering. I do think that
commodities are bottoming, but CRB should fall to 190/185 AND THERE IS
RISK EVEN INTO THE 160/150 area, though I do not think so. The more
important Journal of Commerce index (as far as inflation goes) shows no
signs of bottoming.

As for services, there is greater inflation there than in goods, and if
commodities turn around, there could be a pick-up in inflation. But it
will also require either a large protectionist swing from Congress, or a
turnaround in Asia and other emerging markets, which are exporting
inflation. If the economy slows at all, much of the service inflation
will subside too. With a huge wealth effect and a strong economy,
companies still have no pricing power.

As for the Fed, money supply is growing quickly, but money demand might
not be keeping up. The real Funds rate is probably neutral. It sure is
not loose. I disagree with those that say it is tight.

I think that the economy will eventually slow, but it might not be until
later in 1999, maybe on the back of Y2K problems. The Euro will fail.
Those guys still have not figured out that they have to spend every last
Euro they have to fix their computers for 2000 (what is left anyway
after converting for the Euro). So, the Euro, I think, will not be a
problem (then again, I never thought they'd get this far, so I could be
surprised).

We are a debtor nation, but compared to others, we are in pretty good
shape. If we go into a recession, which I expect we will, bond yields
will have one final drop, maybe to 4.50% or a bit less. But, between now
and mid/late 1999, I suspect the trend will be mostly higher yields.
Futures should reach back above 130 soon, but do not be surprised to see
an approach in the next several months to 5.75/6.00% again (note that is
still not above the 1997 yield peak of 6.10%). Everybody seems to have a
line in the sand at 5.50/62%. Watch that get blown through, get
everybody short, and then watch it scream to lower yields) when we spend
a couple of months unable to extend the losses.

Steve Poser